Chapter Two

My body felt drained of life as soon as I stepped foot outside of the operating theatre, lungs breathing in deeply before I collapsed onto the nearest chair.

The surgery was a success in the end which was a huge relief for all of us, unfortunately the young girl had essentially died three times during the whole ordeal which worried a lot of us as our brains filled with all sorts of thoughts, none of them seemingly positive.

Once she had been transferred to her new room, Solar had come by to identify her animal counterpart, being the only one able to tell hybrid species apart from each other properly without mistake.

"She's a brown bear hybrid," she says with confidence, standing straight to smooth out her skirt with a little nod of the head. "For sure," she then confirms for herself before turning to face me. "Anything else?" She asks politely as she walks further towards me.

"No but you've been a huge help," I reply with an exhausted tone, body close to flopping to the floor and giving up on life. She looks at me with a worried expression on her face as she inspects mine closer.

"Have you been struggling to fall asleep again?" She asks with a sigh, hands being placed on her hips as she cocks one out to the side.

I give a guilty smile in return, essentially answering all of her unanswered questions that she was about to ask. "Why don't you go to Wheein to get more of that sleep stuff that helped before?"

I just sigh and shake my head before moving over to pull the blanket a bit higher over the sleeping girl, soft huffs escaping her lips, reassuring me that she's okay. "You know that stuff leaves me all drowsy and unable to fully commit to my work," I explain softly, causing her to tutt in return. "All you ever do is dedicate yourself to your work," she snides judgmentfully, making me tense up. 

"You know how hard it's been for me to build this foundation out of nothing," I reply sadly, turning to face the full length window which provides me with the view of softly swaying trees and other greenery. "I'm not saying that you haven't tried hard or that you don't give one hundred percent into the HPS (Hybrid Protective Services). I'm saying that you should take a break every now and then."

I grumble under my breath knowing that she is right. "It's not good to constantly throw yourself into work, working practically twenty-four seven with hardly any breaks," she adds, footsteps drawing closer so that she stands beside me. "I know," I mumble out, head turning away from her frame.

She sighs out before her hand comes to grip my chin softly in order to move it so that I am facing her. "I just want what's best for you hunny."

Solar had been a constant support for me ever since my parents had been taken so cruelly away from me five years ago, making her a sort of parental figure in my life.

"I know," I whine out again, moving her hand away from my chin. "The centre won't collapse just because you miss a few days, okay?" I just nod my head, knowing that there was no point in arguing with her as she always wins.

"Right then, I need to be off, you know how Wheein gets when she doesn't get her cuddle time with us," she sighs out, ruffling her hair before pulling me into a quick hug and leaving.

I continued to watch the forestry for a few more minutes before leaving the hospital room.

NAMJOON POV

Being the alpha wolf meant that it was my duty to collect food for the pack, even if it put my life at risk of being caught from the HSC (Hybrid Stray Collectors).

"Did you manage to get anything?" Seokjin asked me as soon as I was within range. I passed the bag over to him containing our next meal.

"How did you manage to get pastries and hot meals?" He asked, confused after looking into the bag. "I know you said not to venture too far but I found this bag near one of the bins behind a building."

Jin's face hardens slightly before his eyes start to rove over my body for any signs of abuse or hurt. "You didn't get seen did you?" He nervously asked out with his eyes boring into my own.

"No so don't panic," I reassure him before taking the bag back off him to take to the rest of the group.

"Joonie," an excited voice calls before a body crashes into my own, hands flailing around me to grip at my waist in a hug. "Hey Kookie," I called out softly while ruffling the excited boy's hair.

"What smells nice?" He asks before tilting his head, his black bunny ears cutely flopping over his face causing a smile to bloom onto my own.

"I managed to get us food so I hope you're hungry Kookie."