Chapter XII

** Marley's POV **

I had to gather myself before kneeling by Ian's side. I can't believe this is happening. Today was supposed to be perfect. Instead it is tragic.

"Baby, I'm gonna go call the ambulance now." I said to Ian.

"Hurry, please!" He yelled while crying.

I reached for the house phone and quickly dialed 9-1-1. Before the dispatcher could ask what was the emergency I yelled," SEND AN AMBULANCE NOW. A WOMAN IS DYING! SHE'S BEEN SHOT."

The dispatcher quickly sent out a code for the ambulance to come.

Five minutes later ambulances and police swarmed around my house. One ambulance fought with Ian over letting them take his mother.

"Sir, we have to do our job! If you don't move this may be the difference between her living and dying. Please." He pleaded with Ian.

Ian slowly slid away from his mom as I picked him up by his arms. I let him lean on me for support as we stood in the the front room. We watched as they rolled her out the front door.

"The hospital is 10 minutes away. Hurry up and follow us closely. No one can ride in the back though because she's in such a bad condition." The other ambulance informed us.

I quickly dashed and grabbed my keys off of the coffee table before running to my car. Ian jumped in the passenger side and we quickly sped off catching up with the ambulance wagon.

The ride was silent. I can tell Ian was hurting; hell, I was too. His hand was resting on the arm rest as I placed my hand over his. I looked over at him as he stared out the window into the distance.

Instead of 10 minutes we made it to the hospital in four. By the time we made it through the hospital's double doors, Ian's mom was rushed to the ER.

Ian scanned around the hospital then began running into the direction of the sign that read "ER."

"Wait, Ian!" I yelled as I ran behind him.

Two doctors blocked the entrance into the ER. "Sir you have to stay out here, we're trying to do everything we can to save her." The tall doctor pleaded with Ian.

I reached out the grab Ian's arm and pull him in the opposite direction but he quickly snatched away.

"DON'T TOUCH ME. YOU DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK I'M GOING THROUGH!" He yelled at me.

I jumped back. Tears immediately began swelling up in my eyes. He's right I don't know what he's going through but I refuse to leave him here like this. I just walked away and sat on the couch in the waiting room.

It was so cold and quiet in the waiting room. I just sat there with my face in the palms of my hands and cried silently. Everything is starting to hit me now. I may be losing my parents and Ian may be losing his.

"Please pull through Jessica, we need you." I said lowly.

As I lifted my head and wiped my eyes I felt a large hand grab my shoulder. I turned to look at them and there stood Ian. I looked in his puffy eyes, searching for an answer but I couldn't see anything.

He sat beside me and laid his head on my lap as I stroked his hair. He just laid there and cried while hugging my waist. I leaned down and whispered in his ear," I love you." I kissed him on his cheek and hugged him until he calmed down.

"She's breathing! Go get the family!" I heard shouting in the distance. Ian immediately jumped up and exited the waiting room. A tall doctor ran into Ian's chest as he tried stopping himself.

"Are you the son of Jessica Williams sir?" The doctor asked as he tried catching his breath.

"YES!" Ian said loudly.

"Come with me!" The doctor yelled as he began sprinting away.

I jumped up and followed both Ian and the doctor into the ER. There were bodies laying everywhere. Some dead, some alive. I began feeling queasy but I quickly pushed that aside.

I entered room 11 and there laid Jessica. She was conscious, but unable to move. She had tears in her eyes as she looked at Ian and I. Ian ran to her side and grabbed her hand.

"Thank you Jesus. Momma, I thought we lost you!" He said while crying and kissing her on her forehead.

"Baby, I heard everything you said back at the house." She said in a slow, low tone.

I slowly walked over to the opposite side of the bed and rubbed her face. She looked at me and smiled as tears continued running down her side.

"I love you guys." She said.

We both simply smiled. I guess It's true that the sun has to shine after a rainy day.