33. Darker Days

Jake's body shook with laughter and his coffee spilled onto the table, "Crap" he muttered, wiping at it with a napkin, he laughed again, "Is that really how your first day at school went?"

Finn grinned, "Pretty much, not the best first day,"

Jake shook his head, "I think I'd die if that happened,"

"Then I'd have to come save you again," he said teasingly,

Jake's eyes met Finn's and his heart fluttered, he squeezed his coffee cup gently and cleared his throat, "So uh, what do you do when you aren't rescuing guys from fires?"

"I know it's surprising but I don't actually rescue people all that often" Finn laughed, "I'm honestly a bit of a fitness freak,"

Jake tried his best not to smile, "Fitness?" He asked

Finn nodded, "Obstacle courses, rock climbing, bush hikes. You know, that kind of thing."

"Are you training for the military or something?"

Finn laughed and shook his head, "I just enjoy it."

Jake nodded remembering how easily Finn had picked him up, "I believe it, No offence but I wouldn't have picked you to be able to carry someone out of a burning building so effortlessly."

Finn laughed again, "None taken, it isn't something I advertise."

They finished their coffees, exchanging stories about school and their friends. Jake felt a weight lifting from his shoulders. The guilt of leaving Ethan worried still rested in the back of his mind but it felt nice to just talk with someone without the dark corners of his past creeping in. He checked his phone knowing he would have to go soon and Finn stood up,

"This has been really fun, I'm glad we did this"

Jake nodded, "Me too,"

Finn grinned, "I'd offer to stay but it looks like you have somewhere you need to be as well,"

Jake nodded again, "Yeah, it's my," he paused searching for the right word, "Friend, we've been needing to have a talk for a while but it's just never been the right time,"

"They sound important to you," Finn said carefully,

Jake let out a small laugh, "He is. There's just a lot to go through,"

Finn nodded, "I understand. It's always hard when it's new, I'm sure you guys will work it out though."

They stood there quietly for a moment until Finn broke the silence, "Well," he said "I'll see you around town I'm sure,"

"You will," Jake told him,

"Great" Finn laughed awkwardly, "Well, uh bye for now,"

"Seeya," Jake told him, he waited until Finn had walked out of sight and took a deep breath then walked away leaving the coffee shop behind.

Ethan was sitting on the lounge when Jake got back, "Hey" he said as Jake walked in,

Jake smiled at him, "Hey," he sat the plastic bags he was carrying on the table and sat on the lounge next to him.

"How was your friend?" Ethan asked,

Jake studied his expression, he couldn't tell if he was upset or not, "It was alright, we just went for coffee. I wanted to thank him for the whole fire rescue thing,"

Ethan shifted his position slightly, "Him?"

Jake nodded, "Yeah, his name is Finn. I didn't know him until he came into the bathroom so I wanted to get to know him a bit better and say thank you."