9. A Soothing Quiet

Ethan lifted his head drowsily, someone was knocking at the front door, he sat up with a jolt. "I'm sixteen tomorrow" he murmured thoughtfully, He shook his head, stood up and threw on some extra clothes before going to answer the door. The last few days had flown past, he stopped and nearly fell down the stairs. He was going to the movies with Jake tonight, with the twins of course but still. He ran a hand through his hair anxiously, he hadn't decided what to wear or anything. There was another loud knock on the door which shook him from his thoughts, he unlocked the door and opened it.

"Can I help you?" he asked with a smile

The man was holding a large parcel "Are you Ethan?"

Ethan raised a doubtful eyebrow "Yes, that's me"

"This is for you then," he said gruffly and thrust it into his arms before walking back down the stairs and climbing back into his van.

Ethan stared down at the parcel in his arms in disbelief, who the hell would be sending him something then he remembered the message from his mum. He smiled and nudged the door shut with his foot.

* * * * *

Lucy put down her book and glared at her phone, she was waiting for a text message that she knew was coming but she could not understand why he was taking so long. Her phone buzzed and slid along the table, she grinned and picked it up, Justin had sent her a message,

"Wanna see a movie tonight?"

"Yes, what time?" she typed back. She waited a few moments and her phone buzzed again

"Eight Thirty"

"I'll pick you up"

She sent a few heart emoji's, put her phone down and went to have a shower leaving the book abandoned on the chair.

* * * * *

He sat on his bed with the parcel and tore off the wrapping, and clothes tumbled everywhere. He picked them up and placed them on the bed. He stared at the outfit, lost for word. His mother had picked clothes with colour on them. She had sent him a black pair of chinos which was fine then he ran his hand across the black buttoned shirt, it was much softer than he expected. It was how he expected a cloud to feel if it was solid and his hand left indentations in the fabric that were smoothed over the next time he brushed it.

When he looked at it all again, the main feature of the outfit was the hat, a fedora like one that Boy George would wear, it was black with dark metallic purple lines running across it in an intricate pattern, a line of dark red along the brim. On the front above the brim, there was a golden lightning bolt, the edges of the bolt were a bright blue and on the back of the hat in green was Boy George's signature.

Ethan dropped the hat in shock, then yelped, and snatched it back up as if it was going to get dirty. His mind was racing, as much as he hated wearing colour, he was holding a hat signed by Boy George and there was no way in hell he wasn't wearing it. Jean had also sent a pair of black Vans but he left those for now trusting she had grabbed the right size and sent a very long text to her thanking her for the outfit and asking how she managed to get his idol to sign it, he ended the text with a promise to send a photo of him wearing it.

Ethan glanced at the clock, it was 3 O'clock he had three hours and a bit to finish getting ready, he pulled out the hairspray and hairbrush and went to work.

When he was finally finished, he ignored the mirror entirely and went downstairs, he gently set the hat on his head then realised that they wouldn't notice the hair he'd just spent an hour on so he silently decided to take it off when he saw them. He'd just stepped outside and closed the front door when his phone started ringing, the caller id showed that it was Nate,