8. Wings Of Freedom

Ethan stared glumly out the window, he hadn't felt happy since the coffee incident with Jake. Of course they'd hung out since but he felt awkward and he wasn't sure what to do about it, he wanted to spend more time with Jake but he knew that Jake was still dealing with the loss of Justin. Ethan's feelings were growing stronger every time he saw Jake, Jake's vulnerability was practically the only thing stopping him from admitting it. He hated not knowing what to do, he'd thought about asking the twins but quickly rejected the idea. Ethan planned to invite the twins and Jake to go see a movie for Ethan's birthday in just over a month. He really hoped they'd be able to go, he was looking forward to having friends to celebrate with.

It was normally just him and Lucy, he frowned, Lucy had been sneaking out a lot lately to go and meet someone but had refused to tell him when he asked. It wasn't any of his business so he didn't pry too much but it didn't stop him from worrying about her.

Ethan's attention snapped back to real life when a butcherbird landed neatly on his window ledge and watched the ground for a moment before diving and ripping a spider from a small hole. The bird then flew back to the window ledge and swallowed the spider before repeating the process; it performed the exercise four times and then turned its attention to Ethan.

It cocked its head and tapped the window with its beak, Ethan smiled and stayed very still wondering what it would do next. It watched him for several moments then as if called; it turned and flew away over the trees and out of sight. Ethan decided at that moment that nothing had freedom like a bird with use of its wings, even the sun seemed to shine a little brighter as he got up and went downstairs.

"Ah Ethan, just who I was coming to see," Max said loudly

Ethan froze "Any specific reason why?"

Max laughed "Always the guilty conscience. No, your mother has gone away to visit her sisters. They are meeting up in Sydney and flying to Queensland."

Ethan frowned "I thought Kim and Lisa didn't get along, how come mum is bringing them together?"

Max glared at him for questioning his parents' decisions "They don't normally." He cleared his throat "I am going away as well, so it will just be you and Lucy at the house and I expect you two to not be idiots while we are gone"

Ethan stared at his father "Why are you going?"

Max glared at him again "Don't question me." He growled "I'm going away for work as usual"

Ethan blinked "You are seriously trusting Lucy and me with the house for an unspecified amount of time?"

Max laughed as if he hadn't just been on the edge of anger "Don't burn it down on us ok?"

"Are you leaving the country this time?" Ethan asked

Ethan yelped and stumbled back when Max backhanded him across the face "STOP QUESTIONING ME!" he roared,

Ethan rubbed his stinging cheek and looked away as he tried to hide the tears forming.

Max walked over to his son and grabbed his shoulder tightly making Ethan wince, "You really need to learn the limits"

Ethan bowed his head and flinched as Max took his hand away and turned around "Also. Stop spending so much god damn money at that stupid cafe"

Ethan chose his words carefully "Can I know why?"

Max nodded "They celebrate gay rights, I saw it on a poster when I went in there for a coffee. It made me so sick I nearly threw it in the stupid cow's face"