Chapter 22

"These are our gardens. Beautiful, aren't they?" The man who was showing Nancy and Robin around said.

"We allow them two hours of outside time a day."

Sounds more like prison than a mental hospital, But most mental hospitals are like that.

"Cant they just escape?" Robin asked.

"They could. But the vast majority choose to be here. They like it here."

He brought them into a room, filled with people and music could be heard, records playing.

"This is one of our more popular areas. The listening room. We found that music has a particularly calming effect on the broken mind. The right song, Particularly one which holds some personal meaning, can prove a salient stimulus. But.. there are those who are beyond a cure."

He led them both down some stairs, right to Victors cell.

"Uh, Dr. Hatch, do you think it might be possible for us to speak to Victor alone?"

He looked at her. That was an odd question. Usually people didn't wanna be left alone with a so called murderer, no one's asked him it before and he grew rather suspicious.

"Alone?"

"I... I think that we would just love the challenge of speaking with Victor without the safety net of an expert such as yourself. Then we could really rub it in professor Bradley's face."

"Professor Bradley? I don't believe I know a professor Bradley."

"Brantley." Nancy said quickly.

"She... she meant to say Brantley."

"Didn't I say Brantley? What did I say? Sorry, silly me. Words, letters." She chuckled.

"Guess I'm just nervous. I mean, excited. So excited to speak with Victor. Preferably as she said, alone?"

That wasn't smooth at all Robin, but it still worked so.

"Yes. Why not? You've caught me in a rebellious mood. And there's something rather urgent I need to check on, so...Sure."

"Keep a close eye on them." He said to the officer guarding the door.

The door opened, leading them into another door which the officer opened.

"Do not startle him. Do not touch him. Do not pass him anything. Stand five feet away from the bars at all times. Is that clear?" The officer said, listing the rules as they passed some other people.

"Yes sir." They both said.

"Victor. Todays your lucky day! You got visitors. Real pretty ones." He said, turning to them as they both had a gross feeling in their stomach at his words.

Creep.

Victor scratched the table, making loud and annoying noises.

"Must be in one of his moods. Have fun." The officer said, walking away.

He growled and snarled.

"Victor?" Nancy asked.

"My name is Nancy. Nancy Wheeler. And this is..." she turned to Robin.

"Robin Buckley." She said.

"Um, we have some questions."

"I don't talk to reporters. Hatch knows that."

"We're not reporters. We're here because... we believe you. And because we need your help."

"Whatever killed your family, killed our friend. We think it's back."