Chapter 39

So uh turns out my schedule for the doctors got changed for Monday so uh YAY! I can update, and I'm going to Disney next week 😭

Anyways back with the story

————————————————————————

Steve, Nancy and Robin walked through the woods, trying to get to the Creel house again.

"Uh... I don't mean to freak anyone out, but I swear we've seen this tree before."

"That's impossible."

"That would suck, right? If Vecna destroyed the world because... cause we got lost in the woods?"

"We're not lost, Robin."

Robin chuckled.

"Robin, hey."

"Watch out for the vines! Hive mind. Remember?"

"Thank you!"

"Uh, don't worry about her. She's just stressed. You know, scared."

"Yeah. Yeah. I.. I know. It's just..."

"She's a super klutz?" Steve finished her sentence.

"She did tell me that it took her longer to walk than most babies, so..."

Steve laughed "I really shouldn't laugh. When I was a baby, I actually crawled backwards."

"Crawled backwards?"

"You know, I'd push with my hands like this. Beep. Beep." He said.

"Always in reverse you know? I mean come on, it makes sense. You push to move, right?"

"No, no, it doesn't make sense." She laughed.

"Well, it did to my tiny little Harrington brain. That is until I reversed my baby butt down a flight of stairs and thumped my head really good. And Mira.." he laughed.

"When she started running, after a few seconds she ran right into the couch." He laughed, remembering how their mom told them these stories when they were younger.

"Wow. That explains... so much."

"Yeah." He chuckled. "I think it kinda does. I think like, right out of the gate, like I'm super confident, you know, but I'm also like, an idiot. Which is just... I mean it's a brutal combination. Guess it runs in the family."

"But the good news is, I get a big enough thump on my head, I can change. I can learn. I can.. crawl forward. Listen, I guess what I'm t try ong to say in a really stupid, roundabout way, is, Um... is thank you." He stopped to look at her.

"Thank me?"

"Yeah."

"For..?"

"For giving my head the biggest thump of its life. Two years ago. I needed it. It's changed my life. I was ... I was an asshole to everyone, mostly you and my sister. And now I'm crawling forward. Slowly. I just wonder sometimes... you know, if... some other girl had given me a proper thump before we'd met, would things have been different? Like if we were meeting together for the first time right now, part of me... I dunno, part of me thinks we would've made it."

"Steve..."

"Remember the dream I told you about? About the Winnebago, seeing the country with my six lil nuggets? It's all true. Every last word. But I left one part out. It's the most important part. You're there."

(Off topic but this scene gave me the biggest ick.)

"You've always been there."

Nancy looked down, and Robin came over.