A MOTHER'S HEART

A soft hum is a key to SeokJin's gentle awakening. 

The binds that held him down and suffocated him were easily broken by a Mother's touch.

He can move his fingers and sense the wind caress past his fingers and his cheeks. His closed eyes were dampened with tears, which confused him in his current state. 

Something saturated was enveloped around his arm. It is an odd sensation. He doesn't know how to feel about it. 

Should he be disgusted, weirded out, confused, or even intrigued by it?

Something is also missing in his chest, yet his mind is in a state of confusion to even comprehend what. 

Once he's registered everything through his limbs, it takes him a moment to open his eyes.

The blurriness of the shadows transpires to a navy blue. Blurred specks and strange lines meet his eyes. There was a figure standing in front of him and a big man against a tree. 

His confusion is overwhelmed by bulging eyes and veins. His arm starts trembling and the deafening silence fades. The scream of his father's hoarse voice and his mother's gentleness both agitated and calmed him altogether. 

"I have always loved you, my dear sons." 

The Queen closes her eyes, her curved mouth retracting to pursed lips. 

The wind embraces her. Her body finally yields out. 

She falls backward, her back and limbs landing with a soft thump. 

SeokJin registers the blood on his arm and the hole punctured in his late Mother's chest. 

"M—Mother?" he gasps. 

Slowly, he turns his shaking hand around. 

The still heart that was carved is held in his palm. 

The King crawls closer to his family. He comprehends the change of presence. 

His eyes widen even more. SeokJin's gasps were heavy, uneven and painful. 

It doesn't take another minute for SeokJin to scream out, his voice is raw with intense emotions overwhelming with rage, frustration and grief. His legs give out. He kneels on the sand. His hands grab a fistful of hair. He tries to pull them out with no rational thoughts. 

"SeokJin—" the King starts. 

His call is cut out with SeokJin's grieving. His throat almost yields. His voice is hoarse. His throat is dry. His voice cracks. SeokJin is almost destroying his vocal cords. He incessantly calls out to his Mother, hoping hard that this was all just an illusion. 

The King stands on his knees. 

SeokJin's eyes were brimming with tears. His muscles were strained. His veins were almost popping out. His fists were stuck gripping tightly onto locks of smooth hair. 

"SeokJin, stop it." the King ushers his young son, grabbing both of his arms.

The King pulls each stubborn finger that wouldn't let go of SeokJin's hair. 

SeokJin grows exhausted. He has been crying and screaming loudly for a few seconds and he hasn't fully accepted what had just happened. His cheeks grow red. His face screams rage. 

"I—I ... k—killed Mo ... Mother ..." he wails, blank eyes staring at the corpse. 

"Son, no." the King repeats. 

SeokJin glances up at his father. He swiftly grabs his father's collars. The young lad looks at his father with wide eyes. The eyes scream frustration. He wants to scream again. He wants to scream into his face, but all that effort is laid to waste.