I Can't Carry This Anymore.

---NARRATOR---

The morning was a blur to Emily, she couldn't sleep last night, hell she hasn't slept in days. She doesn't even know how she was able to focus on the what the doctors told her about Lolo Erwin's condition. There's still more tests to be done and more waiting for the results. At this rate they'd be in the hospital for a few more days. Something Lolo Erwin said he doesn't want to do anymore.

"Apo, umuwi nalang tayo. Maayos na naman ang pakiramdam ko. Hindi ako komportable dito, maya't-maya akong ginigising para sa iba't-ibang gamot at turok. Kung nasa bahay lang tayo mas makakapag-pahinga ako ng maayos. Doon nalang tayo sa bahay natin, apo."

Emily wants nothing more to do just that as well, to go home and take care of Lolo Erwin but how can they go home? The house is still sold to someone else and she doesn't have enough money to buy it back. They're doing all the tests and medicines to better help him but as the doctor explained, there's really not much they can do unless they operate but an operation can be risky because of his old age and his body might not be able to take it.

"Sa ngayon, hija, ang tanging magagawa nalang natin ay ang mag-hintay at mag-dasal na sana lumakas siya, na sana nakaka-tulong at tumalab ang treatment plan nya. Kung hindi siya lalakas mas lalong bababa ang tyansa na ma-operahan sya."

Emily's head was still spinning with all the information she received that morning. She feels helpless and alone. All she wants to do is to sleep and forget all her worries. She just wants to close her eyes even if its just for a little bit and rest but someone up there had other plans. As she opened the door to her grandfather's room she was greeted with not only Gelo and Lolo Erwin but with Dr. Santiago, Gina, Lolo Al and two other people she doesn't know.

Lolo Al introduced her to Dr. Mariano a pulmonologist and Dr. Garcia a geriatrician. They came in to help with Lolo Al's treatment and for a second opinion. Lolo Erwin was still sedated after his procedure this morning that's why he was still out when they came in. The three doctor's decided to speak in Dr. Santiago's office to discuss their findings while Lolo Al told Emily they were gonna take her out to eat lunch.

"Okay lang bang maiwan ka dito, Angelo?" Gelo just nodded and warily looked at his cousin who just nodded.

"Good. Halika na, apo. We have a lot to talk about. Don't we?" He said as he stood up, followed closely behind by Gina.

Emily couldn't really say no. She knows she's in trouble, she's juts not sure how much trouble she's in. The three of them went to lunch at a restaurant nearby. Lolo Al was acting normally, she was asking Emily about the food, her job and everything else except Alex and her family. She was starting to relax until after dessert when Lolo Al brought it up.

"I can't help but be disappointed Emily." He started as he placed his utensils down and wiped his mouth, Emily froze.

"Hanggang ngayon pala ay hindi parin alam ng pamilya mo ang tungkol sa apo ko at sa pamilya namin. Well, except for Angelo but still. Don't you think it's about time you told them? Especially now that your grandfather's in the hospital. Kung sinabi mo sana sa akin naipasok ko sana siya sa mas magandang ospital with round the clock care and the best doctors. Hindi rin sana kayo nag-titiis sa isang maliit na kwarto. Mas nakakapag-pahinga ka rin sana ng maayos." 

"Okay lang naman po kami..."

"You don't look okay to me, hija." He said cutting her off, Emily looked down, she felt like a child in front of Lolo Al, she wants to explain her side but she couldn't say anything because that's how she was brought up. She was told to only listen, never complain, never talk back.

"When I chose you to become Alex's wife, I wanted to help you as much as I thought you could help me, you were carrying such a heavy load that I thought I could ease it, that I can get rid of it for you. Pinili kita dahil akala ko magiging masunurin ka. You may have changed my grandson's attitude but I don't think it's enough, hija. Especially now that she's back and to top it off they're working together. Bilang asawa nya, don't you think you could have done something to prevent it? Dapat hindi mo hinahayaang magka-trabaho silang dalawa. If Riley wasn't there to keep an eye on things baka nasalisihan ka na ng babaeng yun. Baka panahon na talaga para seryosohin nyo ng dalawa ang pag-buo ng pamilya. Maybe it'll deter all these girls hanging around your husband. I bought some supplements and herbal medicine from this..."

Lolo Al talked for a few more minutes and Emily just looked down at her hands, nodding along to show that she was still listening. His every word pierced her whole being, she felt herself getting smaller and smaller and all she wanted was to fade into nothingness. 

Emily energetically waved to Lolo Erwin as she closed his hospital room behind her. She passed the nurse's station and they stopped and thanked her for the cookies she brought last night, she laughed as they joked about asking her to bring a cake next time. She smiled as she saw John waiting a little ways away from the hospital entrance she thanked him when he opened the door for her. She checked her phone, she's at 30%.

"Saan tayo pupunta, Emily?"

"Okay lang po bang umuwi muna tayo? Gusto ko po muna sanang mag-ayos bago tayo lumipad papuntang Davao."

"Mukhang pagod ka na. Hindi mo naman kailangang pumunta sa Davao ngayon, pwede namang magpa-hinga ka muna." He answered as he looked at her through the rearview mirror.

"Okay lang po. Nag-pramis kasi ako kay Alex." She answered still smiling, she looked at her phone again, 23%. Her battery's draining so rapidly, she wanted to ask John for a charger but even that seemed like such a chore that she just kept her mouth shut.

John dropped her off at the entrance and told her she'd pick her up when she's ready and that she should take her time. She gladly told him she's fine and should be ready in half an hour. She smiled, waved, and joked with some of the neighbors she passed by and rode the elevator with. She got off at Nathan's floor and sluggishly but still smiling walked to his door, 15%. She took a deep breath, plastered a big smile on her face and knocked on his door.

"Hey! Finally back from the hospital?" He said as he greeted her at the door.

"Yep."

"Pasok ka muna, kunin ko lang yung pinapa-dala ni Gigi."

"No it's okay. Dito nalang ako, medyo nag-mamadali kasi ako." She answered. Nathan nodded and quickly grabbed a bag from his room, she handed it to Emily and he was about to say goodnight but was immediately stopped when he looked at her. Emily's still smiling, a big grin plastered on her face but with tears cascading down her cheeks.

"Emily, are you okay?" He asked.

"Of course. Una na ako ha." She was about to turn and walk away when Nathan grabbed her hand to stop her.

"Emily, you're crying." He told her when he realized it doesn't seem like she knew.

"What?" She said as she touched her cheek.

"Oh, wow..." She trailed as her face finally fell, she stood there limply, not really knowing how to react, as if she forgot how to move, not knowing what to do next, she's at 8%.

"Ahm... I-- I have to---" She stuttered, her hands shaking as she tried to wipe her tears away.

Nathan pulled her inside his place, led her to sit down on his couch, he placed his hand on hers and whispered that he's there and she's not alone. She looked up at him, her lips quivering.

"I'm so tired." She said as she let her tears fall.