Promised

"Draco?"

"Mhh?"

"You're my best friend, aren't you?"

"The best in the whole wide world."

"And you always will be?"

"Forever."

"Promised?"

"Promised."

It's been years since Draco and you had this conversation. Still, it felt as if it had been just yesterday that he promised you, that the two of you would always be friends.

A lie.

You knew you couldn't blame him for what he had told you when you were eleven, at your last talk before you went to Hogwarts. But this didn't relieve the pain you felt.

Draco and you had been friends since you could remember. Your parents used to know each other even before you had been born and the two of you literally grew up together. There was little to no week the two of you haven't seen each other and if there has been, there had always been an ocean of tears at the mere thought of the two of you being separated for more than a few days. And when you knew you would attend Hogwarts together, both of you were looking forward to a time where you could finally spend each day together. And you promised you would.

A lie.

At first, everything seemed to be just perfect. You had been sorted into Slytherin as well as Draco and as well as everyone in your family. You couldn't be prouder. Together, you thought, you would be king and queen of the best house in the whole world and would be the best students Hogwarts had ever seen.

A lie.

Because quickly, Draco started to hang out with people you didn't like at all. Crabbe and Goyle, as dumb as humanly possible. But what they didn't have in their brains they would compensate for with pure aggression. But they needed someone to tell them what to do to reach their full potential. A leader. And they found one in Draco. He seemed to enjoy all the attention and power he got through the two boys who obeyed his orders without constraints. And as time went by, he forgot his once best friend more and more. The two of you were still hanging out, but as soon as Crabbe and Goyle appeared, you left and Draco didn't seem to mind. He assured you that they could never replace you, that you were still his best friend, but his actions showed you differently.

A lie.

So, you had to find new friends as well. At first, there was Pansy. The two of you shared a dorm and you got along very well. Then there was Blaise. He was a very silent, bit arrogant boy, but loyal as no one else. At least more loyal than Draco.

But through the years you realized that there was a life outside of the tiny world, the Slytherins had built in their dungeon. And you wanted to get out and get to know it. So you did. You started to make new experiences, met new people and made new friends. You had been especially taken with three young Gryffindors from the same year as you. In Hermione, Harry and Ron, you found what you had been missing since you had lost Draco. They were true friends and shared all of their time and effort with one another. And after a short time of getting to know each other and overcoming your own prejudices, the trio became a quartet. And even though most of the Slytherins weren't exactly happy about your new friends, nobody actually seemed to mind.

Except Draco.

Harry and he had hostility since the first day. And when Draco found out that you were friends with him, a mud blood and a blood traitor now, he got very angry with you, claiming he didn't want you to get hurt.