Chapter 17

"No!No!No" Althea kept on saying to herself as she heard what Maria said. "He told me to tell you..." Maria started was interrupted. "Maria don't tell me! He will tell me because he's still alive." She interjected before Maria could finish. She knew she was trying to convince herself. She wasn't gonna let herself believe that he wasn't alive anymore.

"He's still alive right Sam? Nat? Fury?"she asked and looked at each one of them. They could see the tears that were glossing her eyes. "Althea.." Sam started. "Sam don't please don't!" She said to Sam who let out a sigh.

"He may not be alive." Althea heard Natasha saying. "You don't know that!" She snapped at Natasha who had a sad expression on her face knowing how much Steve meant to her best friend. Natasha pulled her into her a hug. Natasha held on to Althea as tight as she could knowing she's breaking in to pieces.

"He's still alive. He's still alive . He's still alive." She mumbled to herself over and over again. She didn't know what to do if he's not. Tears were brimming down her face. She didn't want to lose him. She wasn't sure if she will be able to take it. "I see him." Fury said which caught her attention. "He's there! Near the lake!" She let out a relieved sigh.

Althea was seated on the chair beside Steve's bed waiting for him to wake up. "You're here early." She heard Sam saying as he walked in to the room. "You didn't leave, did you?" Sam sighed and asked her. "I want him to wake up so I can kill him myself!" She said to Sam who let out a chuckle.

"When's the last time you took a shower and ate?" Sam asked her in a concerned tone. "Go home Althea! Take a bath and eat solid food and come back! You're starting to stink!" Sam said which made her sniff herself and she scrunch her nose in disgust knowing what Sam was true.

"I don't have a home. Bucky kinda broke my last home." She said to Sam who let out sigh. "Come on! let's go to your apartment take some of your clothes and go to mine so you can take a bath and eat." Sam said to her and gestured her to get up.

She sighed knowing Sam can be adamant. She got up and followed him out. "Is that gunshots marks on your wall?" Althea heard Sam ask from their living room which made her let out a chuckle. "Told you Bucky kinda broke my apartment." She said to him and walked out of the room with a duffel bag.

"The realtors gonna kill Steve." Althea said and look around. "Come on stinky pants let's go." Sam said while taking the duffel bag from her and walked out. "Call me stinky pants again and I m gonna kick you out the building without touching you." She threatened which made Sam let out a chuckle.

Althea felt her muscle relax as the cold water hit her body. She didn't process what happened this past few days. She found out that the organisation she worked for was actually HYDRA. She became a fugitive. She found out her boyfriend's best friend was the one who helped her get tortured and also beaten her boyfriend to death but saved him.

She was angry at Steve for not keeping his promise to her but she understood. If it was Natasha in Bucky's place she would've done the same. But she was still gonna make Steve pay for this for the rest of his life for scaring her like that.

Althea changed into a white shirt, ripped jeans and put on Steve's jacket that she stole. She let out a chuckle as she saw her reflection in the mirror. She knew she lost some weight. She saw as all the bruises in her body was starting to fade which was a good sign. She let her blond hair out of its bun and smooth it down using her hand.

Her gaze fell to her chain around her neck. She let out a sigh as she saw it. She didn't know why she was still wearing it even after all this time. She considered removing it from her neck but decided against it knowing it was the last thing he gave it to her and the only sign that she was in wakanda once.