Chapter 43

Althea was sat in Tony's private jet opposite of Sam while listening to Rolling in the deep by Adele who she adores. They were currently on the way to London where the funeral is taking place. She looked out of window thinking of how good this past 5 months was but everything started turning in to a shit show a month ago.

She should've known that nothing lasts forever. She let out a sigh at that thought and glanced at Steve who was sitting at the other side of jet far away from Sam and her. He was looking out of the window, she could see he was consumed by grief with the way he looked. She considered going there and talking to him but decided against it knowing he needs to be alone. Sometimes it's better to be left alone.

Suddenly she felt Sam kick her shin to get her attention. "What the f—" She started but stopped herself not wanting to disturb Steve who was still deep in his thoughts. She glared at Sam who got up and sat beside the empty sit beside her.

"What the hell was that for!" She whispered harshly rubbing her shin.
"Thea, are you really agreeing to this. After all that happened I thought you out of all person would not agree for this." He said to her which made her roll her eyes.

"Sam, do you really wanna do this now?" She whispered clearly frustrated by his choice of time. "In two days, you're supposed to be in Vienna. So tell me when are we gonna have this conversation?" He asked her which made her let out a sigh.

"Because we don't really have a choice Sammy!" She exclaimed which made her to look over at Steve who fell asleep which made her let out a relief sigh knowing he didn't hear her.
"Bullshit! We always have a choice. Isn't that something you used to say." He said to her not understanding how  his best friend could agree to this.

"Sam, you didn't hear what the women said. You didn't see the way she looked at me. So yeah, you wouldn't get why I wanna do this." She said as she looked away from him, a sorrowful look on her face which made Sam let out a sigh as he put his hand on hers.

"Hey, I m sorry. I shouldn't have pushed you." She heard him saying to her which made her croak out a smile for him. "It's fine Sammy." She said to him. "Do you think he'll be okay?" She asked him, changing the subject. "He will. He always does." He replied as both of them stared at their best friend. She looked out of the window knowing things are gonna get worse soon knowing Steve and Sam they would never agree to this.

Althea was seated beside Sam in the church where the funeral was taking place. She saw as Steve and some other men carrying the casket. She felt sad for him for going through this. She let out a sigh as he came and sit beside her. She took his hand in hers and laced their fingers together. He squeezed her hand appreciating the gesture.

"And, now I would like to invite Shanon Carter to come up and say a few words." She heard the priest saying which got her attention. She had heard the name before. She saw as her old neighbor Kate walking up the stairs which surprised her. She nudged Steve who looked at her in confusion, she then gestured towards the podium.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHEILD but I just knew her as aunt Peggy." She heard her saying which made her eyes widen. She shared a look of realization with Sam who looked equally in shock. "She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related." She said and looked towards Steve which made Sam to smirk at Althea who rolled her eyes knowing what he meant by it.

"I asked her once how she managed to manage diplomacy and espionage in a time where no one wanted to see a women succeed at either. She said, comprise where you can but where you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move, it is your duty to plant yourself like a tree, look them in the eye and say 'No, you move.' . " Shannon concluded her speech which Althea couldn't help but admire. Peggy was a wise women she thought to herself and smiled.