Chapter 39

Amira's POV

My father always told me not to make promises on the good times when we're happy because most people tend to forget about it on bad times and it will only be considered as an empty promise in a fleeting happy memory and I took too long to realize what he meant.

Maybe we got too happy at that moment and said some things beyond what we can offer.

Yet here I am. Stuck in the cell and crying away with the pain that was added on my chest.

If no one gives a strong proof against the speculation, In two days time, just on Moon's coronation day .... I'll be executed.

I might not be able to see my daughter and my mother again. If only I knew things would be like this now, I would've talked to my mother and my daughter everyday. There's a lot of things I regret not doing and it ironically all enumerated in my mind when I found out I'll be dead soon.

I don't know if I want to exist to be seen by Moon anymore. I can't look at her the same way I did. The flickering hope was gone and I am nothing but with disappointment and suffering pain deep in my heart...and you know what's more painful?

I could not even curse at Moon to make myself feel better.

Not because she has security or someone to curse at me back or hit me for disrespecting her or anything... but it's because in my heart, letting go of the words that hurt her would hurt me more.

"Auntie..." I muttered.

"Hmmm?" The lady from the other cell grunted. "You're scheduled to be executed on the same day with me, right?"

"Yeah..." she replied soulessly. I'm pretty sure she's waiting for this day to come. To end all the torment she has experienced and put upon to anyone else.

"Does Moon know about you?" I asked.

"As long as the Queen is there, not in a million years." She chuckled bitterly. "There's no point in telling her the truth anyway." I muttered and wiped the snot off my nose.

"Yeah, this place is so f*cked up which is why it's a perfect place for f*cked up people like me to die."

I turned to look at her who was also laying on the hard floor in her cell. "Aren't you afraid of dying?"

A moment of silence filled the place As if she was reflecting upon her life.

"I was..." She spoke. "But after encountering a lot of near death experiences throughout my life, I was almost practically waiting for the moment to die."

"Don't you have someone to live for?" I asked. How can someone say things like life is a waste of time?

"I'm an orphan eversince and I never want to have any child and risk it getting involved with the chaos chasing me around."

I sighed, " I do."

Her lips twitched into a slight smile.

"I can tell."she replied.

"How can you tell?" I asked. "Even with dirt covered skin, your aura is something that reminds me of the late Empress... So pure and mother-like." I looked down on my feet and for once since the time I stayed in this cell, that word helped cheered me up.

Moon's POV

"F*ck!" I cursed under my breath as I crumpled the piece of paper in my hand and discarded it then took out another blank paper to write on it again.

"Sh*t." I clenched my jaw and aggressively scribbled on the paper with the speech I'm about to make for my coronation.

I took a deep breath and revised on the first paragraph.