Chapter 11

That day after school, Riley came over to Ashley's house. Mrs Kim wasn't back from work yet so they went up to Ashley's room.
"So Riley. I was thinking, you said we could start this week to find out the truth, let's start now." Ashley said.
"Uhm...Not yet. Let's finish our test first." Riley said.
Ashley made a face. "Well at least just look at this one I wanna show you."
"Ok fine." Riley said giving in.
Ashley opened her closet and then opened one of the small drawers inside. She brought out the letter and handed it over to Riley. She took it and read the contents of the letter.
"So your dad wrote this letter to your mom?" Riley asked.
"Yeah. Not only that it was sent a month after my birth. If you check the date of the letter, it's there."
I see it. But no address." Riley said.
"What?"
"No address." Riley repeated. "There's meant to be an address, either it's the writer's address or the mail office address."
"There's nothing." Ashley said.
Maybe your mom is right. He might've died after sending the letter, because your mom didn't return."
Ashley kept quiet.
"But let's not jump to conclusions yet." Riley said immediately.
"Okay."
"Ashley, remember you said there was a book. You wanted to open it but your mom refused." Riley said.
"Yeah so?"
"Do you have any idea of where it might be?"
"It might be in her room. I don't know."
Riley stood up from the bed. "Then let's check it out."
"Riley, are you sure about this?"
"Nope. But we don't have any other choice do we."
"Ok fine." Ashley said.
They went to her mom's room and opened the closet door. The box was there, but it was locked this time around.
Ashley wasn't surprised. Just then, they heard her mom's car pull into the driveway.
"Oh no. My mom's home." Ashley said a little bit panicked.
They put the box back in and closed the closet door then went back to Ashley's room.
"Ashley, I'm home." Her mom said when she entered inside the house.
They got the sign and came downstairs.
"Good evening Mrs Kim." Riley said.
Oh, hi Riley. How are you?"
I'm fine. I was just leaving." Riley said.
"Ok. Do come over again."
"Bye Ashley." Riley said and left the house.
"She's such a sweet girl." Lilianna said.
Ashley shrugged.
Later that night after dinner, Ashley called Lily and told her everything.
"That's good. At least you guys have started." Lily said.