Shadows of the Past (Part 6)

The next memory was set only a few days after the operating incident, which still left many of the time travellers in a state of terror. Past Shadow stood in front of the viewing window, watching Earth spin while Maria sat on the ledge with a book propped on her lap. Every few seconds she would glance up at the ebony hedgehog with an almost worried frown. It was obvious she hadn't recovered either. Normally, her best friend would be beside her, flipping through the pages with her or asking another innocent question about life. The silence that the heroes were so used to was a new development for Maria.

    "Shadow," the young blond began softly, "What's on your mind? It's been over an hour, and you've hardly said a word."

    The younger version of the black blur lowered his head and released a breath through his nose before he replied, "I'm sorry, Maria. I've just been a bit distracted. What are you reading today?"

    Maria gave him a hard look, closing said book, "Shadow, you know you can always talk to me. That's what best friends do. They talk to each other and help each other when they're down."

    "I know what you're alluding to," he retorted sharply and crossed his arms, turning his gaze back toward the infinite space that surrounded them, "and I don't want to unburden that on you. I can't. You're..," he paused, and Maria's shining blue eyes tried to match his fierce ruby's stare.

                       "I'm what?"

    "Too precious to me," he sighed, uncrossing his arms and letting them slump, "I don't want to ruin your perfect thoughts with my shortcomings."

     "Shadow?" she was standing now, and she hugged him from behind in a firm, yet loose hug, "Shadow, there was no way you could have known what he was about to do. None of that was your fault."

    "But I knew something was wrong," he argued, even if his tone was calm, "I felt that something wasn't right, but I allowed myself to be used. If I had gone to you or the professor, none of this would have happened."

    Maria pulled him closer and smiled gently, "Shaddy, you can't blame yourself because of what other people did. You can't dwell on the what-ifs. Trust me, it'll only make things worse."

    Modern Shadow tensed, momentarily forgetting what it felt like to breathe. He had blamed himself everyday for her death, but here she was, repeating the same words he had many times over, and somehow still forgotten.

    "I'm still surprised you look the same after what happened," Amy said gently, but the gruff male shook his head.

     "Not even I can make it out of something like that unscathed. I have my scars."

    "Huh, where are they?" Sonic chirped, and he earned an intense glare as a response.

    "Not all scars are physical, idiot. But they fade...eventually."

    "Now," Maria perked up, drawing the attention of both ebony hedgehogs to her, "Enough of this self-doubt and beating up your insides. How's your classwork coming?"

    Young Shadow groaned considerably, "I'd rather go back to the previous topic."

    "Oh, come on, it can't be that bad."

   "Yes. It is. Even if I am able to graduate early, according to the professor's assessment, I still can't apply vectors correctly. Calculus is a curse as well. And have you tried reading Ancient Greek? It's an absolute nightmare! I honestly think Pro. Gerald wants me to be some sort of scholar when we finally leave this place."

   "Dude! Just how smart are you?" Sonic gaped, while the red-streaked hedgehog rolled his eyes.

   "I know the basics for anyone in their family, so maybe just a little less than Ivo. My knowledge is slightly dated, but still correct in most areas."

    "Wow, I bet you could really give Egghead and Tails a run for their money then, huh?" Knuckles laughed.

    "Hey!" the kit exclaimed, "I resent that!"

  "Actually, the kid probably has a leg up on me in the mechanical department. I was focused more in bio-tech engineering and the medical field in my last few years aboard the Ark."

    "You make it all sound so casual," Sonic huffed.

    "It was one of the only things we had."

    "Well, sure he does," Maria cut in, "You're a Robotnik, and he wouldn't expect anything less."

    "What?" Young Shadow asked.

   "You're a Robotnik! And we're some of the smartest people around. So, of course, he's gonna want to teach you a thing or two. Who knows? Maybe he would want to help in the family business someday."

            "What makes you say that?"

   The human girl leaned in close and whispered, "All of Grandpa's notes are written in old languages like Ancient Greek and stuff like that, most of the time mixed together, so other scientists can't steal his work. But even if you don't, we can still have a lot of fun on Earth together regardless."

    "You're right," Young Shadow smiled, which only made his bond sister squeeze him tighther before eventually releasing him.

    "You know it! All right, come on, Shadow Robotnik, we have some exploring to do!"

                   "I like the sound of that."

"We're going to be together forever, right, Shaddy?"

      "You said it," he replied, as they took off down the hall. And once again, the scenery surrounding the young time travellers began to blur to yet another memory.