A Million Dreams

A little over 50 years ago, on a space station known as Space Colony Ark, two figures sat in front of a giant window, staring down at the blue and green planet below. They had always wanted to go to Earth, even if it was just for a few minutes.

The first figure was a fourteen year old girl with shoulder-length blond hair and sapphire blue eyes. She wore a dress of different shades of blue with matching shoes. Her name was Maria Robotnik. Her frail immune system would not allow her to breathe her home planet's air, that was why she was here. Her grandfather had vowed to find a cure for her fatal illness. And the result of that vow was the small form sitting next to her.

He was a "six year old" black mobian hedgehog with red stripes on his quills and a tuft of snow white fur on his chest. His eyes were a deep ruby shade that were filled with innocent curiosity and wonder. He wore white gloves with a small bit of red and white and red hoverskates. Four gold rings, two on his wrists and two on his ankles, held in what excess power he had, though it wasn't much at the time. He was the Ultimate Lifeform, Shadow the Hedgehog.

"What do you think it's like down there, Shadow?" Maria asked as she leaned a little closer to the glass. The young hedgehog pressed his face against it before leaning back with his eyes closed. Then he began to sing:

Music Starts

"I close my eyes and I can see

The world that's waiting up for me

That I call my own.

Through the dark, through the door

Through where no one's been before

But it feels like home."

Maria looked away from the Earth and turned her eyes toward her best friend. She had never heard him sing before, and he sounded amazing! Hypnotic even.

"They can say, they can say, it all sounds crazy.

They can say, they can say I've lost my mind.

I don't care, I don't care, so call me crazy.

We can live in a world that we design!"

On the chorus, he stood up and took Maria's hand. She giggled and allowed him to hoist her up to her feet. He smiled and continued, looking from her brilliant eyes to the Earth below in childish wonder.

"'Cause every night I lie in bed

The brightest colors fill my head!

A million dreams are keeping me awake.

I think of what the world could be

A vision of the one I see.

A million dreams is all it's gonna take!

A million dreams for the world we're gonna make!"

The pair ran hand-in-hand happily, until they reached the small library. Maria hoisted Shadow up to the top of one the few shelves, and he pulled down a few of their favorite books, all about the wonders of Earth. Shadow opened one and pointed at house.

"There's a house we can build

Every room inside is filled

With things from far away.

The special things I compile

Each one there to make you smile

On a rainy day."

Her eyes gleamed with happy thoughts of one day having a home down below. And she dreamed of strolling through the forests and fields with Shadow.

"They can say, they can say, it all sounds crazy.

They can say they can say we've lost our minds.

I don't care, I don't care, so call us crazy.

Runaway to a world that we design!"

The two best friends were filled hope at the chance of one day... one day traveling to the planet they coveted. To the world they imagined. In the following months, Shadow aged until he reached 15 years old. Being immortal, he would stay that same age. However, his voice was as deep as full grown man and was just as strong. One "day" (it's hard to tell the difference between days and nights on the Ark) Shadow's voice rang clear from the observation deck with Maria.

"Every night I lie in bed

The brightest colors fill my head

A million dreams are keeping me awake.

I think of what the world could be

A vision of the one I see.

A million dreams is all it's gonna take!

A million dreams for the world we're gonna make."

Maria's angelic voice echoed in the room, making any passersby stop and listen. Her sparkling blue eyes looked down into Shadow's fiery red orbs.

"However big. However small.

Let me be part of it all.

Share your dreams with me.

You may be right. You may be wrong.

But say that you'll be bringing me along

To the world you see."

Then their two voices melded in perfect harmony:

"To the world I close my eyes to see!

I cause my eyes to see!"

They danced together like the way only two best friends could. Happy. Carefree. The world and stars beyond twinkling in the background.

Shadow:

"Every night I lie in bed

The brightest colors fill my head."

Maria:

"A million dreams are keeping me awake."

Shadow as he spins her gracefully:

"A million dreams. A million dreams!"

Together:

"I think of what the world could be.

A vision of the one I see!

A million dreams is all it's gonna take!

A million dreams for the world we're gonna make!"

The pair stopped and slumped to the ground. Maria's head rested on his shoulder as the two gazed out of the window they had been staring out of their entire lives. Shadow whispered,

"For the world we're gonna make."

Present day:

Shadow smiled, a now extremely rare phenomenon, as the memory ended. He was sitting at his secret spot- a small cliff near GUN headquarters- and he stared up at the shining stars. The Ark would pass over him soon. He closed his eyes and sang softly,

"Oh, a million dreams for the world we're gonna make."