A Ghost's Shadow

By: Maraja

This is from the video "Night of the Werehog" from Sonic Unleashed. I recommend watching it in case you don't know the characters.

This was also my entry in the first round of a Sonic Writing Contest.

  (A Lah the Ghost and Shadow Story)

Third Person POV

    "It's so boring. No one comes around here anymore," Lah, a sixteen year old ghost girl, complained as she floated around her room, brushing her purple hair out of her eyes every so often. The walls and table were littered with photos of people and mobians alike that had been hilariously frightened by her friends, Su and Wu, in their attempts to win a simple kiss on the cheek from their female companion. However, one section was different from the others.

    The pictures in her favorite corner all had little hearts on them, and they were all of the same person, a blue mobian hedgehog with emerald green eyes. She had never seen anyone more fearless (and funny) in her entire afterlife, and she swooned when she saw him transform into a werehog the night he came. She was especially proud of the selfie she got with him when she impersonated his flying Chihuahua friend. Sadly, the little creature escaped, and she had to return to her empty, dilapidated home in the middle of nowhere and wait for someone else to wander into her home.

  But she had lately lost interest in her werehog phase, and she has instead been more into vampires, with a large poster of Count Dracula over her old Wolfman movie photo from several decades ago.

    Lah's two friends, Su and Wu, floated over to comfort her but to no avail. When she got lonely, the only thing that could cure her despair was a living guest, which was very rare nowadays.

    "It's not that bad," the tall, skinny ghost, Wu, said. Lah turned away from them with a sad expression as she gazed out the window. The rain was pouring down in sheets in the darkness outside.

    "It's so lonely being a ghoul. No one has come around here since he came," she said, referring to the blue werehog, "Will no one come?"

    Her thoughts were interrupted by the unmistakable sound of a heavy knock at the front door, and a delighted smile graced her features...

With Shadow

    Shadow growled under his breath as he clutched his GUN issued jacket closer to him to shield from the rain. He had parked his bike under an awning beside the house and covered it with a blanket of tarp he kept stored in the back compartment. And he would chaos spear anyone that would dare get within a yard of it.

    "That storm came out of nowhere," he said to himself, as he glanced over his shoulder. He was about to knock again when the door suddenly swung open by itself. "O-kay?"

    He cautiously pushed open the door further, his fingers itching to form a source of defense should there be hostile forces nearby. However, he couldn't sense any chaos energy close by and carefully ignored the feeling, but he kept his senses alert in case he was being watched.

    A streak of lightning tore through the night sky followed quickly by the sound of thunder, which would have made most people jump, but he brushed it off calmly. However, Shadow could've sworn he heard the sound of a camera. His ears perked up at the short click and refused to relax further until he was sure the house was empty.

    He wandered upstairs into a small sitting room that had a large fireplace in the center, already lit, with a single cushioned, high-backed chair facing it. A small lampstand stood beside the chair with a steaming cup waiting on it.