A Bedtime Story

Disclaimer: I don't own anybody or images!    

Fifty-six years ago: Space Colony Ark

   All was quiet aboard the Ark. It was scheduled to be the night hours, so most of the residents were in bed, taking a break from a long "day's" work. Most. Two young and wide awake children were still up. One was a ten year old girl with shoulder length blond hair, deep blue eyes, and a petite form. She was dressed in only a silk white night gown that fell just below her knees. Her name was Maria Robotnik, granddaughter to the famous Pro. Gerald Robotnik.

     The other child was the only nonhuman resident on the space station. He was a five year old black and red striped anthromorphic hedgehog with dark red eyes. All he wore was a pair of white gloves, gold rings on his ankles and wrists and white socks. At the foot Maria's bed stood a pair of red and white hoverskates. He was created by Pro. Gerald to find a cure for Maria's illness, but something had gone slightly wrong, making him have to grow up and learn things like a normal person. But he aged quickly and learned even faster. He was Shadow the Hedgehog. The future Ultimate Lifeform.

    The two best friends layed on top of Maria's bed. They were on their stomachs with her pillows used to prop up their elbows. In Maria's hands was a book with a worn and well-loved green cover. Shadow was only just beginning to read, and still struggled with some letters, so Maria had decided that she would read him a story tonight.

     "And then the horrible beast locked her up in the dungeon in her father's place," she said, exaggerating the effects. Five year old Shadow gasped and buried his face in his pillow. Maria giggled and closed the book. (In case you're wondering, she's reading Beauty and the Beast).

     "What happens next? You can't stop now, Maria!" Little Shadow whined. She laughed and ruffled the fur between his ears.

     "It's really late, Shads. I'll finish it tomorrow."

   "But does she get away from the scary monster? Is her daddy okay? What'll happen to her?"

     "You'll find out tomorrow," she answered with a grin, but a little more firmly. His ears drooped as he slid off the bed and climbed into his own.

         "O...Kay. Night, Maria," he complied sadly.                 "Good night, Shadow," she said and snuggled under the covers.

     Once he was sure that his best friend was fast asleep, Shadow wiggled out from underneath his blanket and slid off his bed, which was a few feet high. He quietly sneaked to Maria's bedstand and stood on tiptoe to reach the book. Once it was in his grasp, he looked around. He couldn't read it in the bedroom, it would wake up Maria, and he didn't want her to be mad at him. So his only other option was to go out of the room.

      The automatic hall lights turned on, as the ebony hedgehog slipped out of his bedroom with the book tucked under his arm and his favorite blanket in tow since it had gotten chilly. He quietly tiptoed down the long metal corridors until he reached a familiar door marked G. R. Study beside it on a silver name plate. Shadow knew that the professor was asleep by now, so he quietly slipped inside, reaching on tiptoes to turn on the lights. It was a plain room with a desk on the far left and blackboard in the middle and work table on the right. Papers were scattered everywhere the hedgehog could see, full of complex math expressions his young mind couldn't decipher yet.

     He moved noiselessly over to the desk and climbed into the chair with the book clutched in his paws. He reached as far as he could to turn on the study lamp. Little Shadow laid the book down in front of him and opened it to the page where Maria had stopped, the small green blanket forgotten on the floor. He used one of his fingers to keep his spot and began to read the words aloud, sometimes going back a sentence in order to understand what he read. His eyes were riveted on the page and story.

       The next morning, Maria woke up to the sound her alarm clock and stretched her arms. She rubbed her eyes a couple of times while stifling a yawn. Once she was properly woken up, she climbed out of bed and went to wake her roommate.

        "Shadow, come on. Time to get up," she said gently and tried to nudge him, only to discover that he wasn't there. "Shadow? Shadow! Where are you?!" she cried frantically and ran out of their room. And straight into her grandfather, who nearly spilled his coffee.

      "What's wrong, my dear?" he asked and steadied her. Who knew what the worry would do to her delicate system.

       "I can't find Shadow," she explained. The professor immediately understood.

       "Come. We'll check the viewing deck first."

    The two humans entered the spacious metallic window room to find it empty. Next they went to the Ark gardens, nothing. Shadow wasn't at the pool either, but that wasn't a big surprise, seeing as how he wasn't a big fan of the liquid. Maria and her grandfather only became more anxious as time wore on without finding the missing hoglet. The frail girl's breathing shortened as her weak system tried to function with the extra stress.

      "What about your study, Grandfather?" she asked. It was the only place that they hadn't checked. Pro. Gerald sighed.

       "I suppose it's worth a shot. He could be anywhere by now."

       The two humans hurried down the metallic hallways until they reached the door to the professor's study. Gerald frowned slightly, his gray beard twitching under his large nose.

     "I could've sworn I locked the door before I went to bed last night," he muttered to himself. Maria's eyes flashed with hope. Maybe he was in here.

      Professor entered the room first and noticed that his desk lamp was turned on, when he knew he had turned it off before he left. Maria released a sigh of relief before she "awed" at the sight before them. There sat little Shadow asleep at the doctor's desk with the book under him. It was at the last page of the story, and his finger was on the last sentence.

     "And they lived happily ever after," Maria read quietly aloud. Gerald set down his coffee cup and stroked his graying mustache fondly. The little guy had stayed up all night reading the story. The blond noticed her friend's favorite blanket on the floor beside the chair and picked it up before gently wrapping it around Shadow's form.

      "Let's let him rest a few more minutes," Gerald whispered and motioned for them to leave. Shadow's ear flicked, but other than that he didn't stir. Maria giggled and decided to let her little "brother" rest.

Present Time: Cream's House

     "Thank you so much for taking care of my daughter tonight, Mr. Shadow. I hope she hasn't been much trouble," Mrs. Vanilla said politely. The dark hedgehog nodded with the faintest smile possible and prepared to leave.

      "She wasn't any trouble at all," he replied and risked another glance at the bunny sleeping on the couch,

       with an old green book clasped in her hands...