As Dark As Death

{Chapter 14.}

Lydia:

This would be one of the darkest days of my life. Not only mine but, Alec too. It was funeral day. It was the day we would look down at tombstones that said our parents names.

Yesterday was the past, now is now and as much as I know, there was no way I was going to let my anxiety ruin the day. Finding Cassidy's body in the forest was the worst thing I've ever seen. Although it didn't seem that way to Alec at all because he acted the same. He still pretending as though it was just mom and dad that we let go of. Whether he was ignoring her death or not, Alec and I were the only members of the Rivers family left and it wasn't going to end this easily. I would never forgive Klaus for killing Cassidy, not even if he held me at life or death.

" Are you ready?" A muffled voice from behind my guest room door asked. It was probably Alec, seeing as we were the hosts of the funeral.

It took me a moment to look in the mirror and realize that this was all real. That I was on my way to bury my parents right now. I perfected a crease on the black dress I wore and placed a small clip in my hair then waltzed out of the room.

" I'm ready." I nodded my head at Alec before we went downstairs.

At the bottom of the steps, Damon waited for us.

" You look nice." His comment made me stop to look at his suit and slightly messy hair.

I'd gotten closer to Damon in the last couple of hours. Not that we've done anything much but, he bothered to listen to my rambling all night. He was a stern nature that I took pleasure to cry on the shoulder of.

" Thanks. You scrub up nice as well." I forced a smile but, he didn't smile back, he just looked sad.

" You look nice too Mr. Rivers." Damon looked at Alec.

" Thank you." He swallowed awkwardly.

" Well, let's get going." I said, going out of the door and waiting for them to follow.

" Yeah." Alec followed with a sigh.

We went into Damon's care and drove to the ceremony. It was being held outside on the west side of the Mystic Falls waterfall. Honestly I didn't see the point of him driving us, we could've walked but, that was Damon Salvatore.

The car was parked under an old tree with vines hanging over the hood. Damon opened the door for me before I could take a moment to breathe.

" Um, thanks." I managed to say.

I turned around to say something to Alec but, he was already in Elena's arms.

Looking around, I could see how well decorated the place was. There were flowers and benches set up. Even a fancy podium for whomever was speaking. It wasn't actually my priority to make the decorations but, Caroline went out of her way to do it for us. I'm pretty sure Elena helped a bit too.

My eyes scanned the garden-like place. I knew for a fact that family members were going to ask for Cassidy but, Alec and I made up the story that she was too devastated to show up. Tyler was with his family: mayor Lockwood and his wife. Matt was with Caroline, Jeremy and Bonnie. As before, Elena and Alec were together too.

" Where's Stefan?" I asked quietly.

Truthfully, seeing all the people here for my parents made me nervous to the bone.

" He said that he'd be here." Damon looked at all the guests.

" Maybe he's just late ... I know him and Cassidy had a thing so maybe he's just taking a moment." I fiddled with my fingers.

" Is that why you didn't tell him the way you felt?" His remark made me look up. Suddenly I felt a heat of embarrassment on my cheeks.

" W-What?" I stuttered.

" I know how you feel about him Lydia ... I've known since the second I met you." Damon looked ashamed.

" I can't explain it Damon." I shook my head looking at the ground. "Why does it feel like I've met him and not you?"

We looked at each other but, it was like we were strangers this time. Damon slipped his arm through mine, escorting me into the crowd of people for the memorial service.