FORTY-SEVEN

( 47 一 WAITING GAME. )

Ruby's meetings with Clancy were becoming more frequent, but also more useful. She knew Clara would scold her and tell her some quote she'd probably read in a book at the League but she didn't care. She was doing this for Clara.

Lillian Gray was alive. Clancy hadn't killed her, he'd done something much, much worse. But something potentially reversible. And that gave Ruby hope. Hope for a cure.

Clancy had known something had happened the second Ruby stepped through the door after Clara was captured. He'd taunted and baited her until she finally cracked and screamed at him. Ruby was mortified once she came to her senses but she took joy in the look on his face. He too looked troubled. It only lasted a second and as soon as he regained his composure he returned to his usual inhuman self.

"Clara should have known better," he said. Ruby left after that.

Vida and Chubs had been sent out a few days ago to find Lillian Gray and bring her back. Liam had also gone out on a scouting mission with a few other kids. They were far more careful now than they were before Clara, almost everyone was armed if they had enough guns.

That left Ruby at the Ranch with Zu and Cole feeling useless. She wanted to go out and help. She wanted to search for Clara or other kids. She wanted to do something.

Under the guise of being helpful Ruby made her way to the computer room where Nico was sitting, typing rapidly on his computer. Despite her resentment for the boy, Ruby still sat down in the chair next to him, trying to make sense of the words on the screen. It was fruitless, most likely only something a Green could understand.

Without being prompted Nico started talking. "It's a Trojan horse. Someone would need to install it manually into Thurmond's system but once it was downloaded they'd be locked out. Someone from here would be able to control all of Thurmond's operations," he explained in a strained voice.

Ruby felt horror mounting within her. Install it manually...

"Cole approved it already, I could have it ready in about a week," he said softly. He stopped tying and looked down at his hands.

"No," Ruby said, horrified. "No way–"

"I meant me," Nico said, as if that was the problem. "Not you. I would be captured by PSF's and brought to Thurmond, I'd find a way to get to the control centre. They take kids to their last camp, not the closest one when they're recaptured."

"This isn't happening," Ruby said firmly. "You aren't being sent in there, we'll think of another way–"

"What other way? There is no other way Ruby, this is it," Nico implored.

"We'll think of one, Nico."

RuBy wouldn't let him go back there. He wouldn't make it. It had to be her.