Piano

Phil could be heard in the front hall, gathering his keys and wallet. When asked where he was going, he stated he was going out to run some errands. "We've run out of the lactose free milk," he said, pecking me on the cheek. "And you know how I need something to put in my Shreddies."

With a close of a door, he was gone.

I had the room to myself.

I could go crazy and eat everything out of the pantry... but I decided against it.

Instead, I walked into the room, and found myself sitting slowly down at my piano.

The piano in my room had once been back in the parlor at my parents' house, but now it resided in my room, with a thin layer of dust covering it. Man, when was the last time I played this thing?

I pushed down on the F# key. Yup, still in tune. And the wood still smelled just as nice.

Wouldn't hurt to play a bit...

So I sat there and let my fingers fly. I played everything: from Billy Joel to One Direction.

Finally I found myself playing La Vie En Rose. I had heard that song once before, played on the guitar. This was the kind of song I would want to play for Phil.

In fact, I was walked in on by him, when he caught me singing along and getting into it.

Phil was leaning against the frame of the doorway when I heard a sniffle. I jumped with a shout.

And there he was, in all his glory, tears streaming down his face with a small smile... broken into the smallest speck of sunshine he could be.

"Phil," I said softly, turning around to look at him.

Phil wiped his nose with a sweater paw. "It... you... I..." Phil stuttered.

I started to shake. "Did you... like it?"

"Yes," he croaked, then once more, a bit sure this time, "Yes... yes, I loved it." Phil nodded his head. I got up and pulled him into an embrace, feeling his tears dampen my shirt.

"It was meant for you..." I whispered into Phil's ear. Phil gasped. "Yeah... I was actually going to play it for you, once I mastered it and once you had come home."

"You play as beautiful as your smile, if that's even possible," he said, and I kissed his cheek.

"You make my life one in rose."