Against the Tide (introduction)

A/N: okay hi omg i was at a guard sleepover last night and it was super fun but i thought of this idea before i came but i didn't have my laptop so the point is that i was like,, dying,,,, bc i had no way of properly getting my idea down. but here is another Nonyoutuber!Phan story, set in 1950s in the Bible Belt... if you don't know what that is it's just a section in the south of the US that was (and quite honestly still is) strict strict strict baptist or christian, and anything different is, like..... "bad". idek. anyways, here's the story. all you need to know is that it's 1950s and in Oklahoma.......... okay yes i think i've covered it?? go read it now pls ty

tell me what you think about it tho?? i want feedback yo

* * *

Phil was gay.

This was a fact.

Phil knew he was gay since second grade, when he kissed his friend Timothy behind the big apple tree at recess.

Phil was sure Timothy didn't like the kiss as much as Phil. they weren't as close afterwards as they had been before.

Timothy ended up moving away a year later, and Phil was sure he didn't hold onto the moment, but Phil cherished it.

Upon accepting himself and his sexuality, Phil was subjected to what the church had to say about it. His parents were devout baptists, and would murder him in cold blood of he ever told them. but with Phil coming to terms with his being gay, his eyes were slowly opened to the underbelly of the church and its beliefs. Phil never saw church the same.

Yet here he was, putting on his Sunday clothes against his parents' will.

Mass was always dull and boring. Phil supposed it would have been more interesting if he were naïve or in denial, but he saw completely past the clear lies the preacher was spoon feeding to the cluster of bible-bearing people around him. what bullshit it was.

To attend the church Phil went to unwillingly meant to reject abortions, feminism, and the ideals the LGBTQ+ believed in. Phil wanted no part of that. He was a feminist and gay and he wanted to leave the poisonous thoughts of the church.

As for now, Phil's life was a constant redundancy of going to church, school, and finding out who he truly was.

This was all before the people next door came to town. And after that, nothing was the same.