Chapter 127: D. K. N. Y Are You Like This?

September

September

New York

Derek pulled up to the warehouse that he wanted to show me. We both hop out of the car and walk inside. I take off my glasses and look at the huge space that could fit about one hundred people. The place is a mess, with bricks on the ground, dust everywhere, and graffiti all over the walls. It looks run down. Like it hasn't been open in ages.

I'm in New York because I'm the new face of a perfume company called DKNY and I'm doing the big reveal for the company. There is also going to be a small reception afterward for the people attending the event. Derek decided to come along because he wanted to show me this warehouse where he wanted his new gallery to be and to collect some of his belongings from his apartment. He says that he's going to put it up for sale and move into the rented house I have in L.A.

"Wow! This is huge!"

"Yup." He nods. "This is the spot. This is where it's at." He smiles shoving his hands into his pocket.

Derek has always wanted a huge venue to himself for his art gallery. The spot he has now is in a small building that's owned by someone else. He just rents the space out whenever he has an art show.

"This is my dream warehouse. I've looking at this place for some time now. You see it's located close to the malls and Times Square for everyone to pass by and walk in. And when I do my shows, people can line up over here and I'll have a glass window over here so that they can see the paintings and portraits from outside." He says with enthusiasm.

"Yeah, I can see it." I smile and nod. "And what about this section here?" I ask pointing to the back room.

"That's going to be my office. Remember the first time I brought you to my art studio back in '86? That's the same design I'm looking for. Except that this venue is bigger. Much bigger and it won't be owned by my father or anyone else. It'll be owned by me." He smiles looking around.

"Derek that's great. I'm glad you're thinking bigger."

"Well." He walks towards me. "I have you to thank for that."

"Me?" I point at myself. "How?"

He wraps his arms around my waist pulling me in towards him. "You were my inspiration. When I saw that you opened your very first pop-up shop, at first, I was skeptical I thought that maybe it wouldn't work out. But then you opened a second one, and a third, and a fourth and you just kept going. So, I said if Iman can do it so can I."

"Wow." I giggle, wrapping my arms around his neck. "I'm glad I inspire you." I give him a quick kiss.

"You did." He lifts his arm and wraps it around my neck, and we slowly walk towards the middle of the floor. "I have big dreams for this place. Derek Richards art show!" He waves his hand in the air. "Or Derek's art gallery!"

"I like Derek's art gallery. That sounds nice."

"Then that's what I'll choose. Whatever name you like I'll pick."