Chapter 33: Uninvited Guest

Warnings: Mentions of drug use

Friday, July 18, 1986, LA

Nikki's POV

I'm leaning against my car, staring blankly at the airport entrance, waiting for Mani to come out. It's been a rough couple of days since Nona passed away, and I can't seem to shake this heavy feeling in my chest. I keep thinking about how she used to take care of me when I was a kid, always making sure I had what I needed, even when things were tough at home. She was the one constant in my life, always there with a smile and a warm hug. It's hard to believe she's gone. The thought of never seeing her again feels like a punch in the gut, and I miss her more than I can put into words.

As I stand here, I feel the tears welling up again, but I push them back. Mani's going to be here any minute, and I need to keep it together. She's always been my rock, and I'm grateful she's coming with me to say goodbye to Nona. I know it's going to be hard, but having her by my side makes it a little easier to face. Nona would have loved her, I think. Maybe she's watching over us now, smiling. It's a comforting thought, but it doesn't make the sadness go away. It's just something I'll have to carry with me for a while.

I couldn't help but smile when I saw the plane finally land, knowing Mani would be stepping out any minute. As soon as she walked through the gate, looking around for me, my heart lifted, and I waved, feeling a bit of the weight ease off my shoulders. But then, just as quickly, my smile faded when I noticed another woman stepping out right behind her. There was something eerily familiar about her face, but I couldn't quite place it. It was like a memory trying to surface, but it just wouldn't come into focus. The uneasy feeling that came over me was hard to ignore, and I found myself staring at her, trying to remember where I'd seen her before. 

I walked towards them and they walked towards me. 

"Hey, Nik." Mani smiled and wrapped her arms around me.

"Hey, princess." I smiled and kissed the top of her head and wrapped my arms around her body. 

"You dyed your hair?" She asked touching the the tips of my brown hair.

"Uh no, I just let the black fade away. And let my brown hair grow in." I explained while taking off my sunglasses. 

I heard the sound of a throat being cleared.  

"Hi Nikki, don't know if you remember me. I am Jess, I saw you at Tommy and Heather's wedding. I was there when you shoved Iman." She said giving me a spiteful smile. 

"Nice to meet you, Jess. Well, let's get your bags in the car." I say forcing a smile and ignoring her last comment. 

I walked over and picked up Mani's bags. Jess and her bobbed bullshit haircut could pick up her shit. I was not even expecting anyone else to come with Mani. I wanted her to come alone so we could have time to talk. I opened the trunk and put Iman's bag in, and Jess put her shit in. I walked to the passenger's side of the door and opened it. I pulled the front seat up so Jess could sit in the back. "Iman gets in the back seat." Jess motioned to her. She did as she was told and climbed in the back seat of course. Already this Jess was pissing me off. I moved the chair back and Jess climbed in. She sat there as if she were royalty waiting for me to close her door. I just walked around to the driver's side and got in. I am glad she got the hint and closed her door. I put my glasses on and sped off.

"I'm sorry about your Nona Mr. Sixx. Iman told me that she raised you along with your Grandfather Tom." She mumbled.

"Thanks," I grumbled.

The car ride was silent. I did not know whether I should play music or do small talk. With Jess here it made things awkward. I would have been talking to Iman trying to catch up on things and make sure she was alright. I know she had a lot to do in New York. So, for the fact that she even came down let me know that I still have a chance with her.