Chapter 37: I'm Yours

August 1986

I slammed the phone down after calling Nikki for the hundredth time. I'd never thought I would see the day when Nikki didn't want to talk to me. I felt bad for what I did. He did not deserve that, and I know I was in the wrong. I wanted to make it up to him. But I had no idea how. I was also leaving for New York Fashion Week in September. I do not want to leave knowing that Nikki hated me.

I called Vince and asked for Tommy's number. I wanted to meet up with Tommy and see if I could find a way to make it up to Nikki. If anyone knew Nikki it was Tommy. My sisters had left already, and I wanted to go with them, but I couldn't. I asked Tamara if I could keep the place that I was renting. She said it was alright, but I could only stay there if my sisters were coming down for a visit. So now I am back at Tamara's condo.

"Hey, sweetie Vanity's manager has been calling me. He's saying that Vanity wants your number so that you guys can hang out." She raised her brow. "When did you meet Vanity?"

"I uh...met her through Derek," I say scratching the back of my neck. "He painted a portrait of the prince and she was there when we were in New York."

That's a good truth and lie.

"So, you want me to give the number or not?"

"Uh yeah, I liked her she was nice. She was a fun time." I smiled. Tamara's smile turned into a frown. "Fun as in she likes to dance and so do I. She doesn't do drugs."

"She better not." She warned.

I finished getting dressed and started heading out the door. "Uh wait where are you going?" Tamara asked.

"I'm going to meet up with Rachel. I want to shop for some things before I leave for New York."

"Ok. Well, do not spend too much money on clothes. You are going to New York." She smiled.

I ran downstairs and saw Tommy's car. I got into his car and we drove off to a small diner so we could talk.

"Wow oh shit you did that?" He said stuffing his mouth with blueberry pancakes.

"Yes, and now he hates me. Like he won't even speak to me." I groaned.

"Shit dude, it's dysfunction junction with you two." He laughed.

"Tommy help me, please! I feel like the worst person ever. You should have seen his face." I leaned back on the chair and sighed out in frustration.

"Say lemme ask you something. Do you want him? I don't mean as a friend I mean as more than that?" I sat back up and looked at Tommy.

"I like him but people-"

"See there's your problem." He said interrupting me. "Stop listening to what people are saying to you. That is where you're getting fucked up. You keep thinking about what your managers going to say, what your sisters are going to do, or how friends will react to Nikki. Stop thinking about all that bullshit and just let it be you and Nikki."

I thought about what Tommy was saying and it made sense. Me and Nikki spent more time fighting with each other because I always listened to what others were saying.

"But it's hard when you hear day in and day out that he's no good for me," I whined.

"Mani the guy likes you; I think you should give him a chance." Tommy shrugged.

"Well, it's impossible now because he doesn't want to talk to me," I mumbled.

There was a silence between us. I think Tommy knew I was genuinely sad about hurting Nikki. I wanted to stop fighting with him and just have things go smoothly between us.