23

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

02.19 When the levee breaks

&

02.20 City beneath the sea

━━━━━━━━━━

"MA, MA, MA." Saint gurgles, her mother spooning some baby food into her mouth, listening to Louis Armstrong as Aidynn hums the tune in the Saint James Infirmary in Algiers where Marcel took Saint, Aidynn, Jackson, and Hayley the night before because of an incounter Hayley and Jackson had while babysitting Saint on a walk.

"Yes, those are some yummy-yummy pears. Mmm!" The mother coos, feeding the infant more who ungracefully swallowed the mushed fruit, the mother's phone rings and she picks up, holding it with her shoulder. "Hello?"

"Aidynn, it's me."

"Nik, having a good morning after mur...m-wordin' your stepdaddy?" She corrects when Saint giggles, she wipes her face and hands. Aidynn removes her from the seat, propping the infant in her lap, lifting her shirt for the baby to latch, which she does as Aidynn pats her back softly.

"I am, indeed. I just wanted to let you know, Josephine LaRue is dead."

"What?"

"She was a messenger for Dahlia, showed up just thirty minutes ago."

The hybrid sighs. "Ok, that's not good."

"Obviously." He scoffs.

"Nik, have you seen my dad, he's been MIA for a while. I'm worried."

"I have not. I figured he'd be with you or Marcel."

"Uh no, not with Marcel or I. Ow, Saint, that hurt!" She winces, feeling small yet sharp teeth on the sensitive bud.

"Are you alright, love?"

"Yeah, uh, how are you? Everyone thinks you're flying off the handles, is the plan in motion?"

"Indeed." He grunts, he swipes his paintbrush on the canvas. "I'm merely protecting my niece the way I know is right, why is that mad to them?"

"Nik, nothing is ever too much to protect her." She pauses, adjusting her position as a random wolf walks by, eyeing her barely covered chest. "Look, uh, if you're protecting Saint, I gotta know what the plan. The entire plan not a few bits."

"A-"

"No, Nik, this isn't negotiable. Saint is my daughter, and Kol's who isn't here, so keeping her alive, happy, and safe is on me. If you wanna protect her, you gotta clue me in, you know shit like that stays between us. I've scratched your back about your sister, your turn to pay up."