24

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

02.21 Fire with fire

━━━━━━━━━━

MARY KENNER WASN'T FOND OF THE IDEA, AT ALL. But she agreed nonetheless since Dahlia was trying to take Saint, her great-grandchild. That doesn't mean she wouldn't warn them what a shark tank they just jumped into with an open head wound after the wolves stood from their kneel. "I know y'all wanna help but this is Aidynn's baby."

"A child Dahlia will take if we don't disappear." Hayley states.

"I'm aware and I wanna protect her more than anything, she's my blood, but Aidynn isn't like us."

"'Cause she's a hybrid? So am I."

"The wolves have Hayley's abilities, she can't fight them all at once." Jackson tells his grandmother.

"She doesn't need physical strength, Jackson." Mary hisses. "She's part witch, a strong one. Aidynn can siphon everything with magic; vampires, hybrids, witches, werewolves, objects. And magic is controlled by emotions."

"Aidynn has emotions?" Jackson jokes, but his grandmother wasn't amused.

"This ain't a jokin' matter. Aidynn feels more deeply than the rest of us."

"Because she's a hybrid? I am, too." Hayley's eyes roll skyward.

"No, poor girl always felt ten times more than any wolf I've ever met, or witch, even as a small child. Although sweet, she had random meltdowns over small things, you remember when she took down three old Oak's with one scream when she was only six, Jack? Well, now she's older, more experienced. She feels deeper than normal. As much as I love her, she's selfish and manipulative."

"This woman everyone talks about, Maya, is her mom? How could someone raised by you, raise someone like Aidynn?"

"Maya wasn't the only one to raise her." Ashton butts in, tossing his arm over Jackson.

"When Maya was young, she had a habit of hangin' out with Marcel in the Quarter 'cause she wanted peace between all three species, they became friends and I didn't want that for my baby. I sent her to live with my big sister and her husband in Portland, where she met the poison that is Aidynn's father, Malachai. Maya got pregnant at fifteen, had Aidynn at sixteen."

"Didn't you used to like Kai?"

"I did before he became the reason my grandbaby was hunted and my daughter, sister, and brother in law are dead. Aidynn is sweet and kind...in her moments. That she gets from her momma."

"And, and the other part?"

"The vile part of her is her father." Mary spits.

"What'd he do? I've met him but Aidynn never really talked about his or her past to me." Hayley states, glancing at the two.