Chapter 36

CHAPTER THIRTY-SIX

KAYNE:
Beep. Beep. Beep. Beep!
I can hear something beeping, and it's annoying the hell out of me. Is my alarm clock going off? Why won't somebody switch it off? I'd switch it off myself, but I can't even open my eyes. Why can't I open my eyes? They're stuck. Not only that, but why can't I move? Come on, Kayne! Get the fuck up!
"Please, wake up. Baby, I need you."
"Mars, where are you? Are you okay?"
I hear her, but I can't see her. Is she crying? Damn it. I hate it when she cries, especially when I cannot hold her. What the hell happened? Why can't I move? My body feels like a dead weight. Come on, Kayne, think! Remember! ASHTON! I remember now that bastard stabbed me! But, wait, am I dead? I can't be. Mars needs me. I wouldn't leave her alone. I'll be a dad soon. I need to get back to her, to them both.
"We should have been there for him, Roberto. Please, son, wake up."
"Mum, I'm trying."
I keep on fading in and out. It's white then black, like going through a train tunnel into darkness then into the light. I'm in a big luminous room. It's so bright and warm, like a hot summer's day. It's like when you're lying on the grass with the sun blazing down, and you feel the heat on your face and chest. It's so peaceful it's nice here. I like it a lot. I hear something. Is someone here with me? I hear a voice, one I don't recognise.
"Hey there, bonny lad."
What the hell?
"So, you're the one who has my Angel in a mess, huh?"
What the actual hell?
"What," I say to no one, that's until I see an old guy standing by my side just watching the waves. Wait, what waves? Where the hell did they come from? I hear him as he chuckles, and then when I look at him, I ask him who he is. But then, I felt myself shift. It's like my body's moving in a fast car. I feel the gearshift. It's as if I'm being pulled into the seat with a thud. Then, everything goes black, and I'm fading away. I hear nothing, see absolutely nothing, and then the silence greets me like white noise. Then suddenly, out of nowhere, I listen to her. I hear my world, my reason for breathing.
"Why, Kayne... Why did you leave us? I can't."
She's crying, sobbing while she clings to my hand. I slowly open my eyes, looking around the room. It's so quiet. All I hear is Mars. I hear her cries while she lies by my side. I look down and see her. I see her heads down while she's clinging to me. Therefore, I reach over and touch her head.
"Principessa," I whisper in a croaky voice.
It hurts so badly. As soon as I whisper Mars' name again, her head snaps up. She looks so broken. Her eyes are wide in shock. It's almost as if she's seen a ghost. Therefore, I smile, just letting her know I'm here.
"Hey, Mars-bar."
She's just staring at me, but when she finally speaks, it's a whisper when she says my name.
"Baby, you... I mean, you. H-how did...how the hell?"
She's shaking her head, closing her eyes tight only to then reopening them again to look at me.
"Kayne, you're here. You're awake? Oh, thank you, Lord. Thank you. Oh my god, Kayne, I love you so much. I don't know how or why, but Jesus, I love you so much."
She quickly sits up and then places the palms of her hands to my face, pulling me in so she can kiss me. So, I reach up and hold the back of her hand when she does this.
Pulling back slightly so that I can tell her I love her. Then I ask if the baby's okay? She smiles through her tears, telling me yes.
"The baby's fine, yes. I've been checked over. I had a cut on my head, but I'm okay. I had a scan. Bloody hell Kayne, you must have super sperm you got me the first time."
She's giggling, making me laugh with her. Only I wince in pain.
"Crap! Hold on, baby. I'll get the nurse."
Before Mars runs out of the room, she kisses me again. Only to return moments later, but it feels like hours. She rushes to my side again, taking hold of my hand. I see tears gather in her eyes while the nurse enters shortly after her.
"Baby, c-can you get me some water, please?" I ask her with a croak. I sound like I've been smoking about forty cigarettes a day. Then, finally, she looked at the nurse and asked if it's okay.
"Okay, but only a couple of sips at a time. We don't want you getting sick. You've had a major operation," the nurse says while checking me over, checking my pulse, blood pressure and making sure my eyes or equal and reactive.
"We lost you for a bit there, Mr Vincente. It's quite the miracle that you're here."
My eyes bulge wide open hearing this, and then I look to Mars.
"Mars, did I... did I die?"
As tears form in Mars' eyes, she began nodding her head.
"Well, damn. How long?" I asked. I'm stunned because this is crazy. Mars began biting her lip again. I think she's trying to hold it together, but what she says next kinda shocks me even more.
"They... Oh God, they pronounced you. Baby, they pronounced you. Bloody hell, I don't understand how or why, but you came back. You shouldn't be awake now, but I'm so happy you are."
While more tears run down her cheeks, I'm stunned. Holy crap, I come back from the dead. So, I'm like something from the walking dead right now? That's awesome shit. It looks like Mars is about to break, so I take hold of her hand and pull her in.
"Oh, Kayne, I-I thought I'd never see you again," She says with a sob. She's crying and clinging to me.
"I'm sorry, Principessa, it's okay now. I'm back, so you don't have to worry anymore, okay? I promise everything will be okay."
She nods, and I kiss her. I make sure she feels how much I love her.