Chapter 66

CHAPTER SIXTY-SIX

   When we arrived at our reception, we see everybody was there to greet us at the entrance, as they're letting us go in first. As we walked through the double doors, my breaths swept away from me. The room looks fantastic with reds, whites, and golds. White candles sit lit in the centre of red and white roses, all set on the tables. Just amazing. AC/DC Black Ice - Rock N Roll Train plays as we enter. (Kayne's choice) I had to give it to him since I got somewhere over the rainbow.

"Wow. Oh my God. Kayne, it's beautiful."
"Yeah, I know. Carl and Jack have done an amazing job. However, I still say we should have gone with the Farscape theme."
He laughs when I nudge him, shaking my head. "Yeah, because I can just imagine your Papa walking around dressed as Dargo."
When the image popped into my head, I chuckled.
"Nah, I was thinking more like Rigel for him."
I burst out laughing and tell him, "That's just mean," and then get an image of him dressed like Rigel. I can't help it, and I laugh again.

As we all sit in our places, I see my mother walk towards me, looking slightly nervous and flushed. Uh-oh, I think I know what's coming next.

"Mars Rose Le— I mean, Vincente."
Yep, big trouble.
"Hi, Mum, are you having a delightful time? What do you think of the room? It looks beautiful, doesn't it?" I ask, trying to distract her from what she'll say.
"Oh, sweetheart, it's... No stop! I know what you're doing, Missy, and I won't let you get me all side-tracked. You can't go distracting me because you know exactly why I'm here." She says while looking all flustered. I sigh, knowing exactly what she's on about.
"Mars, I can't sit with him. But, honestly, honey..." before she could continue, I sighed. It's because of my sisters, and they weren't too happy about all this. I can understand their concerns and hurt about it, as it's a hard one to swallow. However, they need to understand mum's been alone for a long time now, and we're all grown up now with families. So, I warned them to let her live her life.

"Oh, Mum, please don't panic. I promise you'll be fine. I've told you not to worry about everyone else. This is your time now, so just go with it and see what the day brings. If you still feel you can't do it, then don't worry. It's not the end-of-the-world, but don't turn away just yet, okay? Just relax and go with whatever happens."
My mother sighs and then gives me the stink eye. "You planned this, didn't you?"
It's not a question, but a statement. I bite my lip, trying not to laugh.
"Who, me? I don't know what you mean, Mother."
"Mars," she said, looking pissed, and then shook her head.
"You're always bloody up to something. I should have known this would happen." She sighs again.
"Sweetheart, please, don't get your hopes up with whatever you're hoping to happen, okay? It's been a long time, and I honestly don't know if I can go there again. You know, because a lot has happened." She sobs.
"Oh, Mum, I'm sorry. I don't want you upset over this. But, listen, if it's too much, I'll switch your seats, okay? Just see what happens today, please, for me?" I ask with a pet lip.
She chuckled and wiped a tear away from her eye. "Okay, sweetheart, I'll see how this goes. Wish me luck."
I kiss her cheek and hug her. "You don't need luck because I know he's your King."
Mum giggled and shook her head. "You listen to your granny far too much."
I laugh and agree with her, but I know my grandma's words are valid. I found my King, just like she did with my grandad.

An hour later...

"Ladies and gentlemen, it's time for the bride and groom to cut the cake." The DJ calls out, and as everyone cheers, I chuckle, knowing what's coming next. I'm chuckling to myself because Kayne hasn't seen it yet. He saw V's fake cake when we popped in the other day, but what he didn't know was I had her make a completely different one. I wanted it to be a surprise, so I made sure I kept my blindfold from my hen night, especially for this one.