1:To The Empire's Capital (1)

When most parents dream of their children’s future jobs, they would recommend higher-level jobs such as doctors or judges since all jobs that end in the letter ‘sa’ are well-recognized. Or at least a civil servant called a stable iron rice bowl. No parent wants their children to go down a hard and difficult path.

However, in my case it was a little different.

“Son. You should become a shaman.”

“What?”

It was the words my mother told me when my father passed away early and I was growing up together with my ferocious little sister.

Although my family wasn’t very lean or poor, I still wanted to earn money by studying hard and becoming a doctor, a scientist or a developer.

However, what my mother recommended to me, who had meticulously crafted such a scientific route, was not a liberal arts route, nor even an artistic or physical education, but a path on a completely different level.

What should I say about this Theology major?

“Uh, what?”

“You didn’t hear me well, so I’ll say it again. You have to become a shaman.”

“But I don’t want to.”

My answer was adamant.

I’m not going to be a shaman. Why all of a sudden in the first place?

In response to my bold answer, my mother raised her eyebrows once, and spoke in a strong tone.

“You have the qualities of a shaman. All kinds of spirits are watching over you. There is no other way for you than a shaman.”

Hearing that, I was stunned. Do you have such talent? Beyond the absurdity, I just didn’t think about it.

From then on, my mother mostly said things that shouldn’t be said to her son, such as that I have unique qualities, that I am destined to be harmed if I don’t become a shaman and do not receive divine guidance.

What did I reply back then?

“Never, I won’t.”

“You will get hurt one day. They are all worried about you.”

“If it’s for me, you should support me on the way I go!”

I remember saying so firmly and locked up in my room.

To be honest, it just made me sad and angry. You can’t make a child who has properly designed his life since middle school to give up everything and become a shaman.

At that point, I studied even harder with a sense of repulsion.

My mother constantly bothered me and forced me to do religious things, and she taught me all kinds of bizarre knowledge such as poetry, magic, and witchcraft. But I didn’t give up. The more I did it, the more I acquired all kinds of rational knowledge to make my head stronger.

When more than 10 years passed like that, and as an adult, I finally settled down as a member of society but I died in a car accident.

‘It was really absurd.’

Was this what my mother said about getting hurt? And what was even more surprising was what happened after that.

‘I’m alive.’

To be precise, I died once, but it would be correct to say that I was born anew.

Does the afterlife exist? I thought everything my mother said was a lie, but it was all the truth. Through the experience of death, I felt deeply that human beings do not fully realize what they have not experienced until they experience it.