22:A Hunter in a Mechanical Spring City (1)

Chapter 22 – A Hunter in a Mechanical Spring City (1)

Five years before…

The Kingdom of Durman, one of the small countries in the southern part of the continent, was plagued by a sudden infestation of Cryptids.

Wolves roamed in the middle of the city, mysterious beasts ate people every night, and the nightmare of an endless blood scent continued for more than a month.

Even the officers were helpless.

Even though soldiers and knights were deployed, the Cryptids evaded their siege by messing with the knights.

The situation had been sluggish and unsolved.

Among them, there was one of the most notorious Cryptids.

It was a monster that had invaded Jévaudan, one of the largest cities in the Kingdom of Durman.

It was a rare monster that ate three knights who held the title of elite soldiers.

—The worst Cryptid ever to dominate the horrors of the kingdom and a nightmare for Jévaudan.

The monster of Jévaudan.

The King of Durman thought that things wouldn’t work out like that, so he had issued an official paper saying that he would give a huge reward to those who defeated Cryptids.

After hearing the rumors, all kinds of freelance wizards, wandering knights, and famous mercenaries from the continent gathered in the Kingdom of Durman and began a massive operation to suppress the Cryptids.

Countless Cryptids had died, and a considerable amount of human beings had also died.

People called the hunt ‘Bloody Night’ because the blood shed at that time ed the ground red.

The Bloody Night was enough to instill fame in many people.

At that time, there was one person who had made the greatest achievement.

—A person who single-handedly defeated the most notorious monster in Jévaudan and recorded the most achievements in shooting down and slaughtering Cryptids.

He was not a famous wizard, a high-ranking chivalrous knight, or an elite special mercenary.

He was only a hunter.

The hunter was adept at handling all kinds of tools and weapons, and during the year after the Bloody Night, he traveled all over Durman, setting up a record of defeating Cryptids with a kill count of more than three digits.

The name of the hunter, who was also famous as a mystic because he didn’t actually reveal his identity…

Was ‘Abraham Van Helsing’.

***

Fully equipped, Ludger slowly walked out to the boulevard.

The damp night fog blanketed his coat.

The blurry scarlet light spreads dimly around the street lamp as if it had consumed the water from the fog.

The smell of the beast, which gently exuded among the reek of soggy mud, brushed against the tip of his nose.

‘What a memory.’

Dum!

Ludger immediately kicked a drum that was lying around in the street.

Ka-boom boom!

As the drum collapsed, a strong noise echoed through the air. The werewolf, who was searching for prey, turned his head when he heard the sound.