13:First Lesson (3)

“What? He’s going to shorten the time for the magic technique?”

“Is that possible?”

“Isn’t he lying?”

Unlike the first years, who were not familiar with spells, the second years doubted what Ludger said.

Before teaching the basics of magic in his first class, he was going to show them how to cast the spell faster.

They had no choice but to doubt him.

The speed of spell casting was always considered a top priority for wizards.

One second was a lot of time in a battle of life or death.

Moreover, unlike knights who move their bodies in real time and wield swords, the sense of danger was much more acute for wizards—who took time to cast their spells.

Due to the development of science, wizards are less exposed to danger than they used to be, but the danger is not completely gone.

Since they were wizards who always had to think clearly and rationally, they had no choice but to focus themselves more on speed.

“Flora, is what he said true?” Cheryl asked Flora, her best friend.

“Well, I don’t know. Have we ever been taught a proper way to shorten magic techniques?”

There was certainly a way to reduce the time of casting spells.

The representative example was a spell scroll, which was demonstrated by storing existing spells in a medium in advance.

However, in that case, there was a limitation that the spell can be used one time only.

Once you use the spell, the scroll will lose its effect.

Alternatively, you can also use a spell called [Memory Reverberation] that casts the spell in advance and stores it.

Even in that case, it was impossible to continue using the spell, and the maximum amount of stock that can be accumulated was set according to the wizard’s level of proficiency.

“I don’t think it’s possible unless you change the structure of the spell technique itself.”

After all, in order to shorten casting time, the fundamental techniques of the spell must be improved, and even that is impossible.

The spell was a commonly used spell that was the cumulation of thousands of years of history in which wizards had continued to refine, devise, and lead it to that moment.

For some, it might have only been a third-tier flame element spell, but behind the spell was the work of numerous geniuses throughout history.

No matter how genius one was in the current times, they would not be able to improve the existing spell in a better way.

—Because it’s already so perfect that there’s no more ways to improve it.

It was already a matter of fact that came to a conclusion more than a hundred years ago.

That was admitted by Flora Lumos as well.

‘But if he has to change it, he has to lose something in the spell since there must be something for him to trade off.’

—If the speed of the spell casting technique was increased rapidly, the other areas would inevitably weaken.

Less power, less range, or less accuracy.

However, if he reduced the elements of the spell, could they see it as a well-established spell?

No.

From then on, it would become a completely separate spell.