3

MATT

The last bell rings and I quickly stand up to leave class. I hate this fucking school but I hate going home more. I'm the tough guy here, no one messes with me, I'm strong compared to most but at home... I don't ever win.

"Hey man wanna hangout tonight?" Chase walked up to my locker, "I don't have shit going on."

"I'll have to ask," I nod, "but I can't think of any runs I have to make so we should be fine. I'll text you later with an answer."

"Bet," he laughs while nodding, "see you man." I tilt my head back a bit and then head out to the car. I get in the driver's seat and lean back, taking a deep breath in before firing her up. The engine rumbles and I look up at all the kids walking from the building. That's when I see her again.

Ana.

She's straight faced, serious, almost angry looking. She's beautiful though. The way her hair falls, the way it bounces with every step.. she's perfect. I've never seen someone so beautiful. And the banter, like her giving me shit in the lunchroom, I can't explain it but I want it to happen more. I have to keep my distance though. I can't let her in.

I shake the thought away but I can't stop myself from watching her. She walks right over to a car of her own, opens it up and hops in. I see another girl climb in next to her. Suddenly there's a smack and my car slightly jolts. I look forward to seeing the asshole in front of me backed into the front of my car.

I get out, swinging my door shut, "What the hell is wrong with you! Watch where you're going!"

"I'm-I'm sorry-" the kid shakes their head, "I-I didn't mean to. I-" I don't hesitate. I rip his door open and pull him out of his car before throwing him against his. My dad and brother are going to be pissed. So pissed. And it'll be on me, it's my fault. God damnit!

"Do you know what you've done!" I yell at him, "do you!?"

"Sorry!" he cries out, "I'm sorry-I-I-I didn't mean to-"

"Mr. Winslow!" a man yells in front of us. I look up to see the principal running towards us. I let the kid go and back up. "My office, now!" I look around to see a crowd has gathered. That's when I make eye contact with her, I quickly look away and go inside.

When I finally make it home I sit in the driveway for a few minutes. I don't know what to say once I get inside. It doesn't help that we have company over right now. The car is fucked up, I was given OSS for 3 days on the first day of school. Although I hate that place, I'm really setting myself up for failure here.

I get out, shut the door and head inside where I'm met with a strong smell of chemicals or something burnt, like burnt plastic. I know what it is and they know it pisses me off having it in the house.

"Matthias!" my dad yelled, "why the hell are you so late? You should've been here by 4. It's almost 4:30."

"I'm sorry. I uhm- there were some issues in the parking lot at school. It's really crowded." I watch my brother, Jack, walk over to the window and look outside. He turns to face me. He doesn't say anything, only reacts and this catches me off guard.

He pushes me to the ground and starts to swing his fist but now I'm able to move, making him hit the hardwood flooring. He cries out in pain and I kick him off before standing up, "it wasn't my fault! Some dumbass backed into me! I'll pay to fix it! I - I tried to make him pay for it-"

"What the fuck does that mean?" my dad stepped in. The others stare at us. "It's the first day of school and you were going to beat a kid up? Are you fucking stupid?"

"I'm sorry-" I shut my eyes as I speak, breathing out heavily due to nerves. That's when I felt his fist hit my face and I hit the ground.

"Your fucking school already called Matthias," he knelt beside me, "you're my shadow the next three days. Understood?"

There's no other answer. "Yes-"

"Yes what."

"Yes, sir."