6

ANA

I can't believe he's coming back to my house with us. I have so many questions, I'm sure Jada does too. We've been in sketchy situations but never like this.

Who were they? What did they want with Matt? What is he going to get him? Who is boss and why would he come after Matt?

We pull into my driveway and my heart sinks at the thought of showing him inside. It's not disgusting but it's not clean. I know it'll stink to high hell of cigarettes' and alcohol, I'm not looking forward to it. Hopefully he can just see past it.

I get up to the door and unlock it before opening it. I walk in slowly, Jada behind me and Matt behind her. The TV is on and the volume is, again, too high. I walk over to the couch where my mom is sleeping and I grab the remote to turn the volume down.

"Girl, I think I'm just gonna go home," Jada sighs.

I stop and walk over to her before wrapping her in a hug, "I'm so sorry I did that. I-I wasn't thinking. I just wanted it to stop."

"The important thing is that we're all okay," she nods against me, "remember your feeling though? You were right. I'll text you when I get home. You text me if you need anything." She leaves and now it's just me and Matt. I look down at my mom once more before grabbing a blanket to cover her. She doesn't look like she feels good. Her skin is paler than usual, her eyes are red and puffy.

I look over at Matt before leading us upstairs to my room. Thank god it isn't a huge mess. "Do you want to shower?" He looks at me for a second before telling me he doesn't have any other clothes. "I'm sure a pair of sweats and a white t will be okay?" He nods. I point to the door, right there."

"Why did you help me? What were you doing out there?"

"Why wouldn't I? Me and Jada were going to find this old house that's out here. She and I used to play in it as kids." He starts to laugh. "What?"

"Me and Chase, when we were kids we used to go play in the lake all the time. We'd heard ghost stories about that house when we were younger. Almost every time we went around in the summer and tried to find the house, we'd hear laughing. We swore up and down the rumors were true but... it must have been you guys."

"The old log one?"

He nods and I can't help but laugh with him, "oh my god that's so funny. I'm sorry I never meant to scare you guys off or anything."

"No you never did but I promise we weren't brave enough to run in and check it out. Not when we heard you guys." There's a pause before he continues, he clears his throat first. "I uhm- I guess I'll go take that shower."

"I'll set the clothes on the sink," I smile. He nods and walks in, shutting the door behind him. I let out a deep breath before standing up. I'm anxious, just having him here and being nervous to look stupid in front of him... it's almost like I'm torturing myself. I won't let him stay outside though and I could tell he didn't want to go home. The only reason I'm positive in that is because I've been in that position too.

I found a pair of sweats and an XL t-shirt that I've had for years and never worn. I fold them neatly before cracking the door and setting them on the sink. I shut the door and listen from the other side. I wonder if he's hungry.

"Matt?"

"Yes?"

"You hungry?" A pause. I also know what that means. "I'll go make us something, I'm hungry too. If you get out before I'm done make yourself at home, alright? I'll be right downstairs in the kitchen." I hear a faint thank you which is more kindness I've gotten back in a long time. It's more than enough for me. I smile and head down where I grab chicken, a box of garlic noodles and a few seasonings.

When I get upstairs with the food he's sitting on the edge of the bed. I chuckle a bit, "get in, get comfy. Don't be shy." I don't know why I say that, I'm one of the most shy people I know unless I'm angry.

There's silence but he breaks it, "thank you--for everything. Out there and-and this. I was kind of a dick to you in the halls. I wasn't trying to be, but the more I thought about it, the more I saw it and I'm sorry. I really am. But uhm I think I'll just sleep on the ground.."

"You don't have to thank me. You're welcome any time." Something isn't right here. He's only a dickhead to other kids at school, he'd rather be with the weird girl than at his house... there's something going on there. I don't know what it is but whatever it is, I'm sure those guys tonight have something to do with it. I'm just sure of it. And he doesn't want to sleep in bed? What teenage boy doesn't want to sleep in bed? Am I that bad?