53

ANA

I wake up, quickly noticing I'm tied outside, my hands tied above my head to a branch that's a few feet away. My body is freezing. The wind around me blows heavily, it feels like it cuts through to the bone. Snow hits me in my face. It's dark outside, thankfully, because my head is pounding and I know light will make it worse.

What happened?

I was... I was with my mom and- oh my god. Oh my god.

I try to pull, realizing my hands are numb. I look up at them; they're a bright red, turning a hint of blue or purple at my fingertips.

"Someone help me!" I scream, "please someone help me!" My head pounds harshly. Like I'm being hit repeatedly with a hammer.

I hear a door slide open, footsteps walk down wooden steps and the leaves that crunch louder tells me they're coming closer. A flashlight is suddenly turned on and shines brightly in my face. I turn my head away.

"Well well well," Jack says, "how are you beautiful?"

"Jack?" I ask, "what are- did you-"

"Hit you?" He smirks, "I did. Yeah I did. It was a bit worse than I anticipated, I admit. I apologize for that but uh- I had to get a hold of you."

"Where's my mom?"

"She was left with the car."

"Was she— was she okay?"

He smiles and steps closer to me, "You shouldn't have called the cops on us. Payback is a bitch." I start to cry, "you're still as pretty as the last time I saw you." He grabs my chin and gets closer to me. I pull my head away. "Oh really?" He sternly grabs my face and turns my head to face him, "don't misbehave girl."

"Get away from me. When Matt finds you-"

"What? What's he going to do? Kill me? Because that's what he'll have to do. The plan was to get him here and kill you. Maybe then he'll realize what he really is. A runner. Not someone who gets to have some white picket life." He pushes my face away, "How you liking it out here? Cold yet?"

Yes.

"No."

"No?" He laughs, "okay let's switch it up then." He pulls out a knife and I gasp when he starts to cut my jacket away. It drops to the ground.

When the wind blows I hold my breath, clench my jaw and shut my eyes.

"Oh yeah," he laughs some more, "you're cold now aren't you?"

"What-what are you trying to do?" I tremble, "why-why me?"

"Because you're the only thing he cares about," he walks back towards the house, "he'll do anything we want if it means you being safe. Don't worry. He's coming." He pulls a bandana from his back pocket and forces it into my mouth before tying it tightly behind my head. He walks away and I hear the same steps go back up the stairs.

"No- no don't-" I try to mumble. No way anyone could understand or even hear me. It muffles the sound so much.

The door opens and closes. My teeth start to chatter. I can't help it. It's so fucking cold. Too cold.