38

MATT

It didn't take long to fall asleep next to her. I was shocked. It felt.. natural. Normal. Like it was okay and not something bad. When I was younger my dad had this friend that always came over, her name was Carla. I swear looking back she was probably just a prostitute he paid for. First it was Jack. She'd always come over and be in his room, dad would sometimes be in there too. I'd hear her moaning. At that age I didn't understand, I just knew I wasn't allowed in there.

Then when I turned 14, dad started having her come into my room. I never got into it like Jack did I guess. I could always hear him, I never wanted to make a sound. I just didn't find any fun or joy in it. It was awkward to let a woman get on top of me, hold me and fuck me. I didn't like the feeling. But he made us both do that, me and Jack. I never understood why. He called it becoming a man.

Ever since I've just felt weird. Sharing a space with someone, well any girl, puts me right back in that position. Like I can't stick up for myself, like I'm being made to do something wrong. But with Ana, last night, it wasn't like that. Her hair smelt so good, like flowers, her skin was so smooth and soft. She's just beautiful and gives off such good, comforting vibes. I've never felt that before.

When I wake up I grab my phone to look at the time. 7:23 am. His mom should be getting up and going to work soon. If not already. I text Chase to see if he's awake and if he knows anything yet.

Chase: yeah she's about to leave. She's finishing coffee

Me: okay. How's Jada?

Chase: still sleeping lol she's knocked out

Me: haha that's good though. She probably needed it. Hopefully Ana stays asleep for a while longer. I know she needs it.

Chase: How's she looking?

Me: eh it's hard to tell. She looks bad, I hate to say it but she doesn't look like she feels well.

The more I look the more I feel like she's sweating. I roll over just a bit, slowly, so I don't wake her. I gently put my wrist to her head.

Burning up. She's hot.

Me: I think she's running a fever

Chase: idk if that's good. Maybe we should tell my mom about her?

Me: Is that a good idea? Will she be able to stay?

Chase: maybe.. idk. If she finds Jada in here with me, it'll be a problem. But idk about you. Especially if you say she's a friend who needed help last night and that's why you left, she needed a place to stay.. then boom. Right? I mean that sounds good?

I read the text several times before answering. I'm nervous. I don't want to make her leave. I don't want to leave her.

Me: ok.. ok yeah. Let's try, I guess.

A few seconds later his door unlocks and he walks over to mine. He opens it and has me come out. He shuts the door.

"Okay you have to go alone," he whispers, "I'm gonna act like I was coming out with you." I nod. My heart is in my stomach.

I swallow and walk down the stairs. She's sitting in the kitchen.

"Hey hun how are you?"

"I'm okay," I clear my throat, "I Uhm- I actually-"

"Are you coming to explain the girl with you in that room?"

I feel like a deer in headlights. I'm shocked, dumbfounded. I don't know what to say. "I- I-"

"And before you lie I know about the other one too. So, get explaining."

It takes me a second to gather my thoughts. For a while I'm just staring at her. Chase isn't coming to help me on this one. And I need to make sure he isn't in trouble.

"Do- do you remember when I told you my dad was in some bad stuff that I could not talk about?" His mom nods. "It- it's related to that sort of-"

"So what part isn't?" She's angry. I understand why but I wish she wasn't.

"I- I- okay- I have to start at the beginning. We met in school, her name is Ana. She helped me out one day, some of the people got ahold of me, wouldn't have been good. She intervened. Rhonda, I care about her. Okay? Like a girlfriend care about her. The other girl, that's her best friend, Jada. They were taken by those people and Jada got away. Ana got away, helped Jada escape and then Ana couldn't. So that's where I went yesterday. That knocking, it was Jada. And she could barely walk- when I got Ana I had to take her to the hospital. I'm surprised she was able to even move. I don't think I would have been able to—I'm sorry. We shouldn't have kept it from you and- and I understand why you're mad. And I'm sorry. I am. But please-"

"And what? No school?"

I stare, "I-I don't want to sound rude but did you see her? And now she's burning up to touch-"

She looks at me for a few seconds, "there's fever reducers in the bathroom. Tylenol will work. Give her a few of those. Hopefully there's no infection. And Chase? You better not have my son involved-"

"I don't. Rhonda I think he likes her." I can't help but start to laugh. Her eyes widened. "But it's nothing right now. I just- I can't make her leave. Please-"

"I'm gonna think about it while I'm at work," she grabbed her keys, "you're lucky I love you two assholes. I'll be home around 6. I want the house to be clean."

"It will," I say without hesitation. The front door opens and closes and I'm finally able to breathe.

"Oh my god dude!" Chase ran out, "oh my god! Dude that was fucking perfect-"

"I don't know," I shake my head, "she's pissed-"

"Yeah but she's not kicking them out pissed," he grabbed my shoulders excitedly, "dude! That's so good!"

"Alright come on, we need to clean-"

"What? No-"

"Yes. I grab the broom and hand it to him. Bathroom. I'm dusting. I'm doing as she asks. I need her here with me. Oh dude, have you texted Jada's mom?"

"Yeah, off her phone. It was blowing up for a while but I sent her a text that she and Ana went out for a movie and then crashed at some girl's house that was in her contacts. She seemed to buy it."