33

ANA

I'm standing in a different room. A real room, like in a house, not a basement. My hands are hoisted above my head and I'm standing on my tip toes. My feet are tied together. I'm in my bra and underwear... not totally exposed but too exposed. For my liking.

I have lacerations all over my stomach and back. Bruises cover the skin I can see. My head hasn't stopped pounding. God I just hope Jada got away. Where is she now? Does she still have her phone? I don't have mine. I don't even know where it is anymore. I'm not sure what time it is but judging by the light coming from the cracks of a boarded window, I'd say it's morning or maybe afternoon. I don't know. I wonder what day it is. I remember everything until that towel went over my face. I don't know how long I was out from that.

The door opens and that same old man walks in with a smile on his face, "how are you feeling?" I don't answer. He walks over and grabs my cheeks harshly, "I asked how you were."

"Great," I pull my face away, "I'm fucking perfect."

He slaps me and then grabs onto one of the cuts on my stomach. I cry out in pain. "Don't cuss at me, little girl. You are nothing here. You understand?"

"Then why keep me here?"

"Because your bitch boyfriend can't hold up his end of the deal."

"He's working on it!" I yell, "he's trying!"

He starts to laugh, "well he ain't trying hard enough chica. I told the boss about our little conversation. You aren't too pretty right now, but I hear you're still enough for his liking."

"I'm not doing that-"

"It's already said and done. You wait for him and then you listen to him. That's it."

No. No, that was just a tactic to get out. I'm not- no... no I'm not. I won't. "No," I shake my head, "I'm not doing that. He- he's gonna get the money and-"

"And then what? He asks, "he goes right back to it."

"What- no.. no that should get him out," I shake my head, "that should set him free from this bullshit!" Another smack across the face.

"Don't disrespect our operation girl," he snarls, "you don't know anything. This shit is life. You're in? You're in for life."

"He didn't choose!" I snapped, "he didn't want this. His fucking dad made him!"

"Yeah well that's how it works. Upper family members have a say in that, not the kid. Kids can't answer for their futures, not that young."

"That's not right," I shake my head, "it's not."

"Well it's a good thing you aren't in it," he chuckles, "yet. Now, the whole purpose of me coming in here was to mark you up for disrespecting all of us yesterday. Causing havoc in our home. So that's what I'm gonna do."

"Please," I whimper, "please don't. I'm sorry-" I feel the wooden paddle smash hard into my back. I cry out. He does it again, and again... and again... and again. My skin is numb but on fire. It hurts. So bad. Tears stream down my face, I'm sure puddling on the floor beneath me. I can't even hold my head up. I feel like I have no strength. None.