34

MATT

It's been a little over a day now. It's Monday. I think I might know where she is but I have to go there alone. I have to figure out how to find and get to Jada too. I've been staying at Chases since. His mom just got back not long ago, yesterday. Hopefully she goes on another work trip soon.

"Hey man," Chase walks in my room, "anything?"

"I Uhm- I think I know where to go but you can't go."

"What? No." He argues, "I'm going. Jada is out there."

"It's dangerous."

"I don't care. She's there. I'm coming."

"Dude seriously," I shake my head, "we can't risk it-"

"I'm risking it," he says seriously, "I'm coming. That's it."

"No- dude," I shake my head, "no. You're staying." There's a knock at the front door. We look at eachother.

"Chase, can you get the door?" His mom calls from her room. I think she's showering. I can hear the water. Thank god.

"Yeah!" He calls out, "yeah I'll get it." There's another knock, this time more drawn out." We hurry down the stairs and he opens the door. Jada stumbles inside. "Jade? What- oh my god you're burning up- okay come on. Come here." He scoops her up.

"Who is it?" His mom yells.

"Uh- no- no one!" He yells back, "just-"

"Just those church people!" I yell without thinking. He looks at me and I shrug my shoulders. She doesn't respond.

Chase carries her upstairs and to his room. He sets her down on his bed, "Jada? Jade, babe can you hear me? Hey, can you-"

"Yeah- yeah I'm here," she cries, "I- my ankle- it hurts so bad-"

"Okay," he nods, "okay, stay- stay here. Don't move-"

She scoffs, "trust me- I'm not."

He runs out of the room and heads downstairs. I look at her and sit down beside her.

"What happened? Where's Ana?"

"I tried to get her out Matt I swear," she whimpered, "she- she found me. I don't know how. She found me and-and all these men were trying to get to her. She looked so bad. She-she had barely any clothes on. Just a bra and underwear. Matt you have to get her-"

"I will," I nod quickly, "I need you to tell me more or-"

"She locked the door but eventually they broke it down. She- she had me get on her shoulders and I was able to break the window and get out but- but she couldn't. She tried jumping on the chair but it was too short and it broke - and they got in. Matt, she told me to run. She told me to run and I did. I- I jumped down off the roof and I just started running down the street. I got to a cross road and-"

"What was the street?"

"Elm," she wipes her face, "Elm Avenue."

"Off of first?" I asked. She nods.

God damn.. I know exactly where she is. "I'm gonna go get her," I grab the money, "I'll be back." I'm walking out the door as Chase is walking up the stairs.

"Where are you going dude?" He asks.

"I know where she is," I whisper, "I have to go-"

"Dude my mom-"

"Stall her I don't know man," I shake my head, "but I have to go. Right now. I can't wait anymore. I don't know what they're doing to her-"

"Okay," he nods, "alright, go- keys are on the counter and Uhm- dude be safe man. Come home. You hear me?"

"Yeah yeah take care of her," I wave my hand, "keep her hidden." I walk down and to the door, "I'll be back! Shouldn't be gone long!" I open and shut the door, running to Chase's car and starting it up. I grab my phone and call one of the guys, Durk.

"Yello?" He answers.

"Durk I need to know where to take this money man," I say, "I need to know right now." I listen as he pulls the phone from him and starts talking to everyone around him.

"Okay you're gonna come to my house," he says, "drop it with me and be on your way."

"What? No man the boss has my girl. Where is he? I need to know where he is-"

"You know we don't just hand that out," he sighs, "we can't-"

"Fine, I'll figure it out myself." I hang up the phone and trust my gut instinct. He's gotta be with Ana. He has to be. I speed down the side roads only stopping when I see another car around. Within about 20 minutes or so I'm pulling down the dirt road that'll take me to the old cemetery. We'd visit my grandparents there when I was young, there's an abandoned house in the woods behind it. There's been group meetings there, exchanges, deals made, deaths I'm sure. And the basement is always leaking, there's always water and it smells like mold. I make my way near the front door and put the car in park before basically running with the bag up the stairs. I knock hard on the door and then open it up.

"Here!" I yell, "here's the fucking money. Where is she?"