Chapter 10- Family Time

June 11, 2023

June 11, 2023

"James, the oven," I yell from the basement. We just finished up a few card games while waiting for the apple pie to bake before we head over for Sunday dinner.

"Got it," he calls back from upstairs. The delicious smell of cinnamon wafts past me as I make my way upstairs. "I'll be in the truck," James kisses my cheek as he walks outside with the apple pie.

After throwing on my shoes and checking myself in the mirror one last time, I make it outside and into the car. Cool air and Taylor Swift are circulating in the car the whole drive there.

"I'll get the apple pie," I volunteer when we pull up to Darby and Lucas's.

"If you insist," James responds, rounding the car. I shut the car door, apple pie in hand, as I'm picked off the ground.

"What are you doing?" I squeal in surprise.

"You can carry the pie but I'd prefer to carry it. Second best option was to carry you too," he smiles, walking toward the door.

"James," I whine, earning me a chuckle. The front door opens, Lucas stepping out and laughing at the sight in front of him.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?" He shakes his head, still laughing.

"He's being stubborn," I huff.

James just shrugs, "Figured it would be the most helpful." Lucas take the pie for my hands when we pass him and into the house.

"You two have a seat on the couch. Me and Darby want to have a little talk before we eat," Lucas supplies as he hurries off into the house.

"What's this about?" I raise my eyebrows and look to James at the same time that he looks suspiciously at me.

"No clue," he grabs my hand and pulls me over to the couch. Before we can wonder any further, the Starks appear into the living room smiling.

"Oh it's nothing serious," Darby assured us when she sits down and faces us. "We just want to see how the first night of living together went."

"Amazing," me and James say at the same time. Lucas and Darby exchange a look and so do me and James, smiling to each other.

"Well, moving in full time with each other can be difficult." Lucas looks at Darby, "we nearly seperated many times at first. Little arguments, not communicating enough, and not having enough alone time too."

Darby nods, "Especially alone time. It's good to spend time by yourself. Relax and remember who you are as an individual."

Me and James share another look, knowing that we spent nearly every waking moment together all of last summer and being great. Better than great.

Lucas starts up again, "just because you haven't had problems doesn't mean that you won't. Even the strongest of bonds can break in such close quarters."

"If either of you ever need anything we are here. A place to stay to have a little time apart, advice, anything. No judgement," Darby finishes.

James and I both give a nod, absorbing the information. That satisfies his grandparents because they nod back to us and stand.

"We are going to head into the dining room. Join us when you are ready," Lucas smiles, grabbing Darby's hand and leading her away.

I take a moment before looking over at James, who is looking at me already. "Can we promise to be completely open with each other? If we need space or don't like something that the other is doing, we verbalize it," James suggests.

"Of course. And we accept constructive criticism?"

He nods, squeezing my hand. "Although," he smiles, "I don't think I could ever spend too much time with you."

I grin and kiss him, "I don't think I spend enough time with you as it is." He laughs putting his forehead on mine and soaking in my presence.

After a few moments of silence, I pull away, looking into his beautiful sparkling eyes. I move a stray brown lock of hair back into its position and sigh. James is too handsome for his own good.

"We should go eat. Dinner is getting cold," he kisses me one last time before standing and heading to the kitchen, our hands laced together.

Darby and Lucas, who are talking quietly at the table, look up when they hear our approaching footsteps.

"Let's eat," Darby smiles at us.

"Thank god," Lucas sighs wearily. "I'm starving," he pats his stomach.

"Elle, would you mind helping me at the diner tomorrow," Darby asks. I immediately look around the table to see everyone unphased.

"Um, yeah. Of course," I stutter out, trying to keep my emotions at bay. The rest of the evening is spent full of laughter, smiles, and jokes. One big, happy family.