Chapter 1- Surprise

June 2, 2023

June 2, 2023

"Miss. Merritt?"

"Yes, Cecil," I ask my student as we sit around in a group huddle. Waiting for the last bell to ring, dismissing us for the weekend.

"What's your favorite color?"

"Brown." My answer draws a lot of ews from my class. I laugh.

"Why?" A chorus of voices asks all at once.

"Well whenever I see this very special shade of brown, I feel safe. At home and comfortable. Like when your mom is snuggling you before bed. Do you know what I mean?" Hopefully that explained it well enough.

"Oh. I like brown to," a few of my students respond just as the bell rings.

"Alright friends! Let's grab our bags and go! The weekend waits for no one," I say as I march to the door and hug all of the students goodbye. Once they are gone, I tidy up the room and rush to climb into my car.

Today I'm flying in for James's birthday, which is tomorrow. He doesn't know that I'm coming so it's going to be a complete surprise. Julian will have him at the bar in town and I'll surprise him.

If I showed up at the house it wouldn't be much of a surprise. He would either hear my car coming or will see it parked in the driveway when he gets home.

 He would either hear my car coming or will see it parked in the driveway when he gets home

After my 5 hour plane ride, I catch a cab and take it right to the bar. Julian texted 20 minutes ago saying that they had gotten to the bar.

I walk in and immediately spot him. Like a moth to a flame. I walk up and take the empty seat beside him.
"Hey, stranger," I greet casually. James's head immediately snaps in my direction after hearing my voice.

He jumps off his stool and wraps me in a hug. "Oh my god! What are you doing here?!" I laugh and hug him back. We haven't seen each other since April when he visited NYC for my birthday.

"Your birthday, duh. How could you think I would fly in?!" He pulls back, shaking his head and laughing.

"Thank you, Julian," I smile over at him. He raises his beer taking a sip, his own amusement showing despite his best abilities to remain casual.

"You knew," James exclaims, turning to look at Julian after placing me back down on my stool.

He shrugs, "maybe, possibly." James gives him a look and me and Julian burst into laughter.

"I am literally coming up to New York on Wednesday to help you finish packing up your apartment and move you over here."

"Yeah, but I couldn't wait."

"What up bitch!" Lola squeals, wrapping me in a side hug.

"Lola! I thought you were busy today!"

"Plans change."

"What are we drinking," Preston asks as he joins the group.

30 minutes, James mouths to me. I nod and laugh. I would protest such a short amount of time with our friends but we are seeing them tomorrow at the birthday party anyway. And I need some quality time with James.

"Impending wedding," Preston wiggles his eyebrows. "Was it it? In a month?"

All 4 of us nod our heads at him. "A month and three days to be exact,"James pipes up. We break into laughter because of course he would be counting it down day by day. Secretly, I am too, but I try not to let anyone know just how excited I am for it.

I can't wait to marry James. Take his last name and move out to Montana. I've already given my notice to the school that I won't be returning next year. It was a little saddening but nothing can stop me from moving here and being with James. It kills me every time we have to be apart.

By next week it will be summer time and I will be a full time resident of Adler, Montana. I'm going to help Darby and Lucas at the diner. Keep it in the family...oh my god. I still can't get over the fact that we will be family. It's unreal how much can change in a year.

James grabs my hand, alerting me that the time is up. "Alright, we have a scheduled movie date that we are going to be late for," James explains.

Everyone gives us knowing looks as we rush out of the bar and into his truck. I get a text from Lola,

Use protection. Don't want Darby catching you again.

I bust up laughing, "everyone for sure knows why we left."

James grins, looking over at me, "good. They can spread the word that you're mine."

I smirk, "nope, not yet."

"Ha, as if you haven't been mine since the moment we met," James looks at me, knowing it's true.

I shake my head, a smile pulling at my lips as I squeeze James's hand in mine. He brings our interlaced hands to his mouth and kisses my knuckles, his thumb purposefully grazing the ring on my finger, proving even more that everyone already knows who my heart...among other things...belongs to.