Chapter 11- Great-Grandparents

June 12, 2023

June 12, 2023

I pull up to the quaint family diner at 9am sharp, driving James's truck since he took Whiskey and the dogs out as usual. I take a minute to soak up the view of the packed building, excited for my new life, before opening up the door and immediately jumping into action.

I haven't really waited tables before, but it doesn't take long for me to get the hang of it. I give props to people who do bus tables for a living because it is a grueling job. Constantly running around, dealing with pissy customers, fixing orders, carrying multiple hot plates and overflowing cups all at once. It's all about multi-tasking and balance, which is difficult to achieve at times.

Luckily I've become acquainted with pretty much everyone in town and am able to catch up with them when I check on their table. Darby and Lucas are the only other people working the diner, which they've done together for decades. James is the only other person that has worked here, and now me. It's quite literally, family owned and run.

After 4 long hours of constant running around, I plop down in an empty booth. The lunch rush just ended and I've cleaned all of the tables to prepare for the dinner rush in a few hours. I feel good about the work I've put in and friendly conversations I've had with people.

Looking around the empty diner, I spot Darby coming out of the kitchen with waters in hand. "Here, dear," she places a glass in front of me and takes the seat across me.

"Thank you," I say before gulping down half of the glass in one go. She chuckles, taking a drink of her own.

"I know it's only been two days, but I was wondering how it's going at home," Darby asks. Home. She just called Evertree Ranch my home.

I take a deep breath, a smile breaking out on my face. "It's great. It feels just like last summer, but better if that's possible," I say blissfully happy.

She smiles sweetly, "I'm glad." She pauses, "I was wondering about something else too," she trails off.

"Shoot." I give her the opening, not sure what she could be nervous to ask about.

"Kids," she responds.

"Oh," I say quietly.

Her gaze shoots up to mine. "I don't want to push or anything," she rushes out. "I just wanted to know if you guys have talked about it yet. It's an important thing to talk about before marriage. I don't think James even wants kids but if that's something you want, that could-"

"Calm down," I say calmly, holding my hands, amused at her exasperated state.

She takes a deep breath, "sorry."

I chuckle. "You're fine. And yes, we have talked about kids."

She looks at me, curious, "and?"

I smile, "in a few years. We're young and just want to figure out all of the little kinks in life before we bring a kid into the world."

She nods, "that makes sense." A small smile grows on her face, "great-grandkids." I nod back at her, my own smile growing wider.

"If I'm being honest, I never thought James would get married. Let alone have kids. But then you came along and he changed."

I frown, confused. "Changed? How?"

"He's looking forward to the future. Thinking and planning," she explains. "His whole life he pretty much lived day by day. He never brought girls home or talked about having a family. He just likes to live alone. A solitary existence." She grabs my hand. "But now you've given him something to look forward to."

I squeeze her hand back, "we changed each other."

She brings the conversation back to the former topic. "So, have you guys talked about how many kids," she raises her eyebrows and purses her lips, waiting for my response.

I shake my head slightly, "not in a lot of detail. But probably on the larger side if we can," I smile, thinking of our hypothetical children.

Darby's face lights up, "Take all of the time you need before starting a family but just know, I will always be there to help in whatever way you need." I make my way around the table to hug her.

"Thank you," I smile.

"Of course, dear," she pats my back. The ringing of the bell, signaling that patrons have entered the door, ending our conversation. We share one more moment before breaking apart and getting back to work on our late lunch customers.

I spin and see Lucas leaning against the wall a few feet away, smiling. He nods at me and heads toward the kitchen, obviously having heard the whole entire conversation. I shake my head, not completely minding the eavesdropping. They will be wonderful great-grandparents in a few years.