Chapter 12- Chef James

June 12, 2023

June 12, 2023

I sigh as I turn off the truck and lean back in the seat. It was a looonnggg day. If I thought the lunch rush was busy, it had nothing on the dinner rush. After 12 long hours of bussing tables, I'm ready for bed. I yawn, making my way out of the car and up to the house.

I stop short as I open the door, smells of fresh food washing over me. "James?" I call, not expecting him to be back already.

"Hey, babe," James smiles at me from the kitchen doorway.

"What's that smell?" I ask as he walks toward me and leans down, capturing me in a kiss. I moan, needing his touch after such a long day.

"I made dinner," James whispers, pulling away slightly.

"What?! You must be exhausted. I would have done it," I exclaim.

He shakes his head, "you just spent 12 hours on your feet. You need the break," he blushes slightly. I stare up at him in awe. This man just spent over 12 hours working the ranch and comes home to cook ME dinner.

"I love you," I sigh happily.

"Forever and counting," James kisses my forehead, grabbing my hand and leading me to the couch. "Wait here. I'll be back with the food," he leans down for another kiss before disappearing into the kitchen.

I pick up the remote and turn on the tv, scrolling to find a movie. I settle on one just as James walks in with wine and plates of food in hand.

"Here, babe," James passes me my plate of lasagna and garlic bread.

"My favorite," I hum, with my mouth watering. "Thank you," I smile at him as he sits down next to me.

"How was work," James asks, genuinely curious.

I swallow the food I was practically inhaling before responding. "Great and super busy. Was is always that crazy?" He nods, not wanting to speak with his mouth full. "Damn," I drift off thoughtfully. "I could get used to it though. I already agreed to help on Wednesday and Friday."

"I'm glad you like it," James smiles at me.

"You're grandma had an interesting question for me today," I smirk, making him raise his eyebrows, intrigued.

"What was that?"

"She wanted to know about kids. Our kids," I clarify.