Chapter 30- First Dance

July 5, 2023

July 5, 2023

"Welcome the happy couple," the DJ calls into the microphone as me and James enter through the partially open barn doors. We come through and raise our locked hands over our heads. Our guests clap and cheer, most people already holding glasses of champagne from the open bar. Fairy lights are strung above us, in the beams of the barn. It's very rustic chic.

Before I can even think twice I'm being picked up off the ground and spun around. "Julian," I laugh.

"How do you feel?" He sounds as giddy as I feel.

"The same," I laugh. "But happier than ever."

"Good. You better treat him right," Julian sets me down on the ground, giving me a serious look.

"Of course," I smile at him and we do our little handshake. James could not have picked a better bestfriend, I think.

"Are you sure she's not your best friend?" James questions, coming up behind me and wrapping his hands around my waist while also apparently reading my thoughts.

"You'll always be my day one," Julian tells him. "But she does cool secret handshakes with me," he winks at me. James shakes his head and chuckles.

"Congratulations," Lola squeals and wraps me into a hug, pulling me away from James again.

"I can't believe it," I whisper to her as I hug her back.

"You better," she laughs.

"Congrats guys," Seth comes up to us, clapping James on the back and pulling him into a hug before he comes over and hugs me.

"I'm so happy for you," Preston comes over and hugs us both too.

"Where's Sierra?" I ask spinning around to find my favorite little toddler.

"Went home with my parents," Lola explains. "It was way past her bedtime."

"What time is it anyway?" I try to find the time somewhere.

"10pm," James comes up and wraps his arms around my waist, hugging me to him and kissing my head. "We leave in an hour."

"Let's go make our rounds then." James takes my hand and for the next 45 minutes we thank all of our guests, most of them I've only met in passing while in town or working at the diner. They weren't joking when they said it was going to be the wedding of the decade. I spend an extra amount of time with my Grandpa Merritt too. I haven't seen him since Christmas, which is practically forever for us.