If Wings could Fly

I don't know how I lived with myself. After Karter went into the woods I felt myself calm down. Knowing that a 6 year-old girl was about to be brutally murder by her father. I laughed at myself. Was I going insane? I know that 6 year-old girl didn't deserve to die, but it had happened at some point. I shake my head. I kinda wish this place was a mental hospital. I need to practice, I decided considering that I'm going to be sent on a quest with no experience whatsoever. I make my way to the sword arena. My hand reaches over to my sword. I wonder what else I can do with it other than to use it as a regular sword. So as soon as I get to the sword arena I decide to stab it into the ground. 

Nothing happened. 

Okay………

"Evelyn" I hear a voice behind me whisper.

"AAH" I scream. It startled me. Immediately after that I felt a big whoosh from my back. It felt like something had grown in my back. 

"Huh!" Said the voice from before. I turned back to see who it was. It was none other than Nico Di Anglo himself. He was still trying to look at my back.

"Wh-what happened" I stumbled back.

"You grew wings,"He said deadpan. I reach back to feel feathers arches on my back. I puck one off to see that it was black. I didn't even notice Nico until he spoke. That scared me a little. That might have been the reason the wings grew all of a sudden. I got scared. 

''Anyways" Nico continued, "I need to talk with you…privately" He eyed the corner on the left. I followed his gaze to see Karter. Which he immediately pulled back. He knows that I know what happened to Angie. I guess Nico and read minds or something cause the next thing I know I get pulled into a shadow, clinging on to Nico cause my face feels like it's about to fall off.

"We're here"He said bluntly. I unhand myself from Nico.

"Sorry" I mumble. I looked around to see a forest surrounding us and a cabin….?

"As I was saying," Nico cleared his throat, "You have no idea what your powers are and even how to use them, right?"

"Yep, I just found out about the wing thing" I pointed out. 

"Can you see anyone right now?" Nico asked. 

I shrugged as I try to take a closer look, "I mean, I see some children running around the cabin thing" 

"It's not a cabin thing. It's bunker nine." Nico corrected me,"It was used by the Hephaestus kids a long time ago. So long ago that apparently Chiron forgot about it, or wanted it to be kept a secret." 

"That's weird" My eyebrows furrowed, "What about the children I'm seeing?"

"I don't know," Nico said blankly, "It might be because you're the daughter of Thanatos, and you can see where the dead are and have been. You know cause Thanatos is the official God of Death" 

I didn't answer Nico. I simply nodded my head. 

"Do you see anyone else?" His head prop up. 

"I've been see someone named Angie"

"Have you been around someone named Karter lately?" 

"No…." 

"I was only going to tell Chiron about this, but I found Karter's wife and daughter hanged. Their bodies were severely beaten too. There were also some really old bones around the place they were hanging " 

I stared at him with confusion and guilt. 

"His Wife name is Angelica Thompson. Whom he nick named Angie" Nico took a step forward to me, "The bones also belong to another woman named Angelica Thompson" 

"That's horrible…." I feel a bigger wave of guilt pass over me. I could of stop them. 

"Oh" Nico exclaimed disappearing into the shadows for a momment, "Here's your farewell gift" 

He returned with a box the size of a public trash can (Don't ask me where I got that).

"What is it?" I asked. 

"It's a dragon egg," Nico explains, "You're father asked me to give it to you" 

"My father?" I asked confused. 

"Yeah, your father. The egg is apparently a descendant of Kholkikos" Nico said, sounding surprised.

"Um, who's that?" I tilted my head.

"Oh, Kholkikos is the unsleeping dragon that used to guard the golden fleece. He got slain by Jason" Nico mumble that last part, "Anyways it time to go back" 

With that we disappeared into the shadows once again. This time I didn't have a problem with Shadow traveling. I have a feeling that's what it's called. 

We popped out of a tree that was right by the Camp's borders. 

"Evelyn, one more thing. You should learn to control your emotions" 

"Um, okay, why did you say that?" Not going to lie. I was a bit curious.

"Cause if you let your emotions take over you. You might as well kill everything else. I saw what you did to Meg. Luckily you only summon that ghost… Angie to help you. Just keep in mind that you're one of the most powerful demigods that had minor gods father or birth them" 

"Right…."It's kinda hard believing all of this. I think I would have used these powers against Mason in High-school. I felt a sudden shrunk on my back. I guess my wings had disappeared. 

"You can summon your dragon too" Open the box and gave the egg to me, "You just have to rise it till it gets old enough" 

I cradle the egg in my arms. 

"Thanks" I gave a warm smile as he Shadow Traveled again. I ran off to meet with Willow.