Chapter 42

Amy was sat in a boat she had 'borrowed' from some home nearby while holding binoculars over her eyes with one hand and a drone in the other. She was supposed to stay in the truck, but she got bored, so instead she decided to park near the lake to see if she could see Beth's childhood home. From what her map showed, she should have been able to see a glimpse of it with the binoculars from where she had parked, but she was greatly disappointed when she couldn't since the lake was a lot bigger than she initially thought. So, she got out of the truck and walked near the water, growing impatient since she felt she wasn't doing much to help her friends. It wasn't until her eyes landed on a large home with a dock close by that a smile grew on her face. 

  She contemplated whether she should take the boat or not. It was illegal to steal, but was it illegal to borrow something and return it before the owner even notices it had been taken? No. At least, that's what she told herself when she snuck onto their dock and climbed into their boat. She didn't expect to see the keys right beside the wheel. To her, it was a sign from the universe telling her to take the boat and follow her gut. So there she was, sat in somebody's boat, binoculars over her eyes, ready to launch the drone as she watched her friends from the middle of the lake.

Beth's House

Dinah's car had just arrived at Beth's childhood home. She parked on the dirt driveway and shut off her engine.

"We just got to Beth's house." Ally radioed to her friends.

"Okay, be careful!" Zendaya replied. "We're still around 10 minutes away."

Nobody replied after Zendaya. Instead, they sat in the car, deciding what to do next. They all looked at their surroundings and at the house in front of them. It was an old house with a lot of empty surrounding land. Across from them was on open field of tall grass. The last house they had come across was a five minute drive from where they were currently at. They could also see the lake reflecting the moonlight just behind the old building.

"So." Dinah dragged the word. "Who wants to go in first?"

Normani rolled her eyes before throwing the car door open. "Fuck this. If Kyle is here with Camila and Sofia, I'm gunna fuck him up." She got out of the car, the others following her lead. Normani grabbed the pellet gun and held it at her side as she looked to her friends, who grabbed their own things. "But if his goons are here, then I'm going to fuck them up."

"Let's fucking go already. Every second we waste is another second of poor Sofia and Camila being with that asshole." Olivia said as she fixed her sweater. Alyssa was quick to shrug and walk up the driveway and onto the front porch. She hated to admit it, but there was a sense of excitement that ran through her at the thought of beating somebody up.

"I'll go in first." Alyssa said with a smile as everyone waited on the porch. She had played lots of video games recently with Austin, so she felt she was more prepared for this situation. "Let's do this." She held up her gun and turned on the attached light before moving to the side as she turned the door knob. She gently pushed the door open. As the door revealed the inside of the house, she shone the light in. "We're heading in." She quickly radioed to her friends.

"Be vigilant." Was all they heard from Amy as Alyssa took the lead, Normani close behind, Dinah waiting a few moments before following the two, and Ally and Olivia debating who wanted to be at the end, Olivia deciding to guard their backs. All girls entered the home, shining their lights around the house as they searched for a light switch.

"Here's a switch." Olivia said before reaching for it. After she flicked the light, she frowned and tried it another three times before she shook her heads at her friends. "They don't work."