Chapter 10 ~ The Boy's Halloween

October 2012

Niall’s P.O.V.

I woke up that morning with the worst hangover I’d ever had. My head felt like someone was whacking it with a baseball bat over and over again. I felt nauseous as I stood up.

I went to the kitchen and saw Bailey sitting on a stool reading and drinking a cup of coffee.

“Morning Drunky,” she said as I walked in.

“Shut up,” I mumbled as I poured coffee for myself.

“Hey now,” she said. “That’s not how you were last night. Do you not remember telling me you were in love with me?”

I froze as I sat down. Had I drunkenly confessed my feelings for her?

“It’s OK Niall don’t  act like you saw a ghost,” she laughed.

Was she saying it didn’t matter to her? That maybe she felt the same-

“I know you were just drunk and I know neither of us will EVER feel that way for the other,” she continued.

I smiled and nodded even as my heart dropped. I didn’t think I was ever going to be able to tell her. She was leaving in two months and then who knew when I’d see her next. It was just going to get harder as the months went on. I had to tell her soon.

But this wasn’t something I could blurt out in my kitchen when I was this hungover.

“OK you’re staying home today,” Bailey said, sounding extraordinarily like my mum.  “No one comes over, you don’t go anywhere.”

“Are you punishing me?” I asked.

“No I’m trying to make you better…OK that’s a lie. Yeah I’m punishing you,” she said.

“Bailey I went out and got wasted I don’t need to be grounded,” I rolled my eyes.

“That’s not why you’re being punished,” she shook her head.

I looked at her in confusion and she sighed. “Follow me.”

I followed her upstairs to her room and she pointed to her bed. “That’s where I was last night. In my bed, trying to sleep. And right as I was falling asleep, you come in like Godzilla and make me take care of you.”

She turned and pointed to a spot on the floor. “And that’s where you were sick, forcing me to spend half an hour trying to get the stain and smell out. This is why you’re being punished.”

I looked from the floor to her face back to the floor then back up to her and said, “That’s it?”

She smacked me as I laughed and said, “Calm down Bailey. I don’t care about the floor.”

“If I called your mum and told her what you were doing last night would she care?” she threatened.

“No,” I laughed. “I’m an Irishman, she’d expect it.”

Bailey raised an eyebrow and grabbed her phone and I leaped into action. I reached and snatched her phone out of her hand as I yelled, “OK, OK! What do I have to do for you not to call my mom?”

Bailey smirked and said, “Slave Day.”

“NO,” I groaned.

“Slave Day” was something we’d come up with in year 2. Basically whoever thought they were deserving of a Slave Day would have the other do everything for them. Homework, chores, everything. It was like torture.

“Well I haven’t talked to your mum for a while,” she mused.

“OK, OK,” I sighed. “What do I have to do first?”