Chapter 32 ~ The Boy Who Lived

September 2013

Niall’s P.O.V.

I was turning twenty in a week. It was the strangest thing to know it was my birthday, but Bailey wasn’t there with me. I was so used to having her at every birthday and now, she was just gone. I didn’t know anything about her life now. Was her job still working out? Did she have a boyfriend now? Was she still in New York even?

Did she even care about me at all?

Was it possible that by now, she had been so upset with me that she stopped caring about me?

That thought sent an actual physical pain to my heart. I actually put a hand to my chest to try and ease this.

“You OK there, Niall?” Liam asked as we sat on the bus.

“Yeah I’m fine,” I said moving my hand away. “Water went down wrong.”

The lads all laughed and I managed a weak smile before I plugged my headphones in and began to play music. Of course, “Fix You” had to play and remind me of her. Everything I did reminded me of her. I couldn’t even watch a sports game anymore because it would remind me of the times we’d sit in my living room and watch together, yelling simultaneously at the screen to command the players we knew couldn’t hear us.

Shouldn’t I be excited right now? It was my birthday soon. I should be getting hyped up right? Well I wasn’t and it was because I was stupid enough to fall for my best friend and then wind up pushing her away by admitting it.

That night after the rest of them had gone to sleep, I left my bunk and sat by the window. The moon was nearly full and I had a perfect view of it. I just sat and watched it, not saying anything, not moving, just watching it.

“Niall you’re so weird.”

I spun around hearing the voice. I looked across the aisle and saw Bailey sitting and staring at me with an amused smile on her face.

“Bailey,” I said.

“Come on Niall, who just sits and stares at the moon?” she laughed. God I missed the sound of her laugh.

“I do,” I defended myself.

“You’re ridiculous,” she laughed.

“What are you doing here?” I asked.

“What I’m not allowed to visit my best friend?” she asked.

“No of course you are, but why would you want to come visit me? After everything?”

“What are you talking about you crazy Irishman?” she laughed again. “Are you talking about me and Liam?”

“What?!” I yelled.

“Oh don’t act so surprised,” she brushed me off. “We told you like three months ago.”

“She’s right mate,” Liam said coming from his bunk in the next room. He sat next to her and placed his arm around her shoulders. She settled into him and the image of it made my stomach turn.

“But, but Bailey, after everything I’ve told you, everything I’ve felt, you just go and start dating my best mate?” I asked.

“What on earth are you talking about?” she asked.

I got angry then and I yelled, “I’m talking about the 6 months you spent with me! I’m talking about every day falling more in love with you! I’m talking about when I confessed this to you and you just blew me off!”

“What?” she asked in shock and Liam’s faced mirrored hers. “Y-you love me?”

“Yes!” I said. “You know this Bailey!”