Chapter 18 ~ Valentine's Broken Boy

February 2013

Niall's P.O.V.

Valentine’s Day. I hated it now. Even when I was on tour or off with the band, Bailey and I would send each other something. We were always each other’s valentine except for the few years one of us was in a relationship. Now, I had no one.

It was physical pain in my chest as Perrie, Eleanor, and Danielle came to the arena where we were rehearsing to surprise Zayn, Louis and Liam. Liam and Danielle had a serious talk about their relationship, which ended in them getting back together. Seeing all of them together like that made me feel miserable as Harry and I stood off to the side.

“You should have told me,” he said suddenly.

I looked at him in shock. “Told you what?” I asked.

“That you loved her,” he said and I realized he was talking about Bailey. “I would have backed off.”

“It’s no big deal,” I shrugged. “It wouldn’t have given me her anyway. Although I hated you when you were with her.”

“Understandable,” he said. “I would have felt the same way…do you miss her?”

“Are you crazy?” I asked. “Of course I miss her.”

“Do you?” he asked. “Because after what she did, just leaving like that, can you honestly tell me you miss her?”

“Yes I miss her Harry,” I said. “She’s my best friend. She’s the girl I grew up with and the one I love now. I love her more than any girl on this planet and I know that feeling isn’t going to go away. I miss her more and more every day.”

“Have you thought about calling her?”

“Of course I’ve thought about calling her,” I sighed. “But she’s so upset. I can’t just call her and expect everything to be OK. I have to wait for her to call me. She has to be the one to take the first step so it’s not like I’m rushing her into anything.”

“Have you considered that maybe being persistent is the way you’re going to get her? Maybe that by keeping showing up in her life is going to make her desire you more when you’re gone?”

“I’m not you Harry, I’m not the kind to just go after every girl I want and get her because I’m Harry Styles,” I said making him laugh. “I can’t just push her into everything and have her be OK with it.”

“OK so the persistence thing is out,” he said. “But consider calling her Niall. Consider talking to her. I think that might help you more than hurt you.”

The girls left to let us get back to rehearsal, but that didn’t stop the love talk.

“I’m taking Perrie out to her favorite restaurant,” Zayn said. “And then we’re going out to the pier for dessert.”

“Me and El are staying in like cool kids,” Louis said. “She thinks we’re just sitting around watching movies, but I have so much more up my sleeve.”

 “Danielle and I are taking Andy’s boat out tonight,” Liam smiled.

“Louis I hope you’re planning on giving El a really special night,” Harry said. “I mean sitting around watching movies? On Valentine’s Day?”

“Hey don’t judge the way I do things!” he said. “I can treat my girl however I want on Valentine’s Day!”

“Can we stop with this and get back to rehearsal?” I interrupted. “In case you’ve all forgotten we have a show soon so we kind of need to practice.”