Chapter 25 ~ A Year After The Beginning: Bailey

June 2013

Bailey’s P.O.V.

I fanned myself as I sat at my desk. Summer in New York sucked. It was hot and humid and my hair frizzed out like crazy. It was horrible. What made it worse was that I still had to wear pants to work. The best I could do was a tank top blouse. It was awful.

My style had done a complete flip. I used to be a hipster, wearing high-waisted shorts, tank tops, crazy combinations. Now, I was a girly kind of girl. I wore shorts and floral tank tops, skirts occasionally, heels, sparkly sandals. New York had completely changed me. So many things were different. Nothing was the same about me anymore.

I didn’t have my best friend, didn’t have the person who could help me through anything. I didn’t have my sense of style anymore, I had completely switched. I didn’t have any sense of home at all. I missed mum and dad like crazy, and Niall, and the rest of the boys.

“Bailey, I need 500 copies if you wouldn’t mind,” Mariann said coming up to me with five different papers. “And then stapled in this order for the meeting tomorrow.”

“Alright,” I said taking the papers and walking to the copy room. Six months into this job and I was still doing trivial jobs. When was I finally going to get my break? I wanted to go down to photography and see what they did there. I wanted to follow my dreams and be someone who could travel whenever they wanted. I wanted to be able to travel the world like Niall.

Niall.

I closed my eyes as I waited for all the copies to print. All I could see was his face; his face when I stormed out of his living room, so upset at his confession. He was so broken.

No. Pull yourself together.

I took a deep breath and finished printing everything. As I sat stapling everything together, Niall never left my mind. He was all I could think about. I missed him so bad. I wanted him next to me. I wanted him to be able to make everything OK again. He made me feel better about the world. He made everything OK.

And in that moment, my fury with him returned. Had he never done this to me, had never confessed everything, I wouldn’t have changed, I wouldn’t be the way I was. Just as this thought entered my mind, a perfect song began to play on my phone.

You had me hooked again from the minute you sat down

The way you bite your lip

Got my head spinnin' around

After a drink or two

I was putty in your hands

I don't know if I have the strength to stand

Oh oh oh...

Trouble troublemaker. yeah

That's your middlename

Oh oh oh...

I know you're no good but you're stuck in my brain

And I wanna know

Why does it feel so good but hurt so bad

Oh oh oh...

My mind keeps saying

Run as fast as you can

I say I'm done but then you pull me back

Oh oh oh...

I swear you're giving me a heart attack

Troublemaker!

Troublemaker. That’s what Niall was. He was a troublemaker. He made all this trouble for himself and for me as well. It was his fault I was feeling this way. I got home that night and decided to take Marley for a walk. I walked in the cool night air with her, still infuriated with Niall.