Chapter 12 ~ The Boy's Plans Go Awry

November 2012

Niall’s P.O.V.

“Cancel all your plans for next Monday,” I said coming in the flat that night. Bailey looked up from her book and said, “Why?”

“The album release party!” I said excitedly.

She laughed and said, “Consider my night free.”

“Good,” I said. “So what’d you do today?”

“Not much,” she shrugged. “It was too cold outside to go anywhere so I just stayed in and read. How was your day?”

“Exhausting,” I sighed running a hand over my face and flopping down next to her. “You’d think by now I’d have gotten used to it, but no. I’m still not used to all the stress of a new album.”

“I’m sure it’ll be amazing and the fans will love it,” she said.

“You don’t know that,” I told her worriedly. “I mean what if compared to Up All Night, this one is awful?”

“Niall if they’re true fans, they’ll love it no matter what,” she assured me. “You guys have great voices, especially together, and let’s face it, you’re all cute, your fans love you, they’ll love whatever you put out.”

My mouth dropped open and I looked at her, taking offense.

“What?” she asked.

I just blinked without a reply.

“What did I say?” she asked.

Cute?” I asked in shock. “We’re just cute?

She laughed and said, “OK I take it back. You guys are sexy beasts.”

I smiled in approval as my heart fluttered before she continued, “Except for you. You go back to the trash can.”

My mouth dropped open as she laughed and said, “Kidding, kidding, totally kidding.”

“I don’t believe you,” I pouted.

“How bout if I take you out for ice cream will you believe me then?” she asked.

“Yes,” I said perking up.

That afternoon was probably the best we’d spent together, just the two of us, out for ice cream, acting like kids again.

“What am I going to do without you?” she asked later that night as we sat watching the telly together. “After six months of you in my face every day what am I going to do?”

“What are you going to do?” I asked in shocked. “What am I going to do? How am I supposed to survive when you aren’t there to take care of me when I’m sick or wasted? And who am I supposed to hang out with when the rest of them are with their significant other?”

“This is why we’re best friends,” Bailey said. “Neither can live without the other.”

Every moment from that afternoon that we had spent like we were back in Ireland disappeared and in that moment, I knew she was never going to look at me the way I looked at her. She was never going to look at me and see the boy she loved, she was going to see the boy who was her friend and nothing more. And years from now, I was going to get the invitation to her wedding, and I was going to have to watch the girl I loved get married to a guy who could never love her like I did.

I looked away from her and nodded. “More tea?”

I took her mug and went to the kitchen to make her more tea. I waited for the water to be ready and held my head in my hands. I couldn’t believe this. It was like my feelings were stronger and now, I couldn’t hide them. I had to actually leave the room. One month. That’s all I had left. I either had to keep this in and watch her go on with her life, or tell her.